Mage using not a staff

Questions and discussions related to armors,
weapons, items, and allies.

Mage using not a staff

Postby timw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Can i use a different weapon if i wanted to, like a sword or gun with +2 life and more damage on it vs my staff +1?
Could i still cast spells and stuff?
timw

Re: Mage using not a staff

Postby BanzaiBob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Simple answer - yes you can use any of the three weapon classes but the skills you can use are locked to each weapon - sword skills to swords etc... If you want to use a mix of skills then simply carry the spare weapons with you and trade them when you want to use a different skill set. Hope that helps.
BanzaiBob

Re: Mage using not a staff

Postby wolfy42 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 am

Banzai covered it pretty good but just to add a bit....

If you are not using skills then there you might as well use the weapon you have with the highest attack bonus (and strength bonus) since that is all your damage is based on.

More to the point if you are fighting monsters usually you will probably not be using more then a lvl 1 skill...and in that case again you may as well use whatever weapon you have with the highest attack.

All 3 weapon types get the same bonuses it seems from strength etc.

Later on there will be bonuses that you can get on your weapons. Swords can get guardian bonuses (20% bonus to block), Staves can get magic bonuses (15% more skill damage I believe), and guns can get crit bonuses (20% better chance to crit). The gun bonus is universal and should in theory boost your skill damage almost as much as the staff bonus (20% more chances to crit!!). The guardian ability is really useful when not playing to make it harder for other players to kill you in the arena.

My main staff is enchanted...and that is what I fight random monsters with and in the arena with.

When I am away from the game I equip my guardian blade...which does less damage...but increases my block chance by 20%.

I may ditch the guardian blade all together and concentrate on just damage soon though as there really is no penalty to being defeated in the arena if you have no money on you...and it helps fellow players level up faster.
wolfy42

Return to Equipment and Items