A thanks from one grateful guy.

Discussion specific to Facebook Server (eg. Guild Recruitments)

Re: A thanks from one grateful guy.

Postby ava » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:10 pm

This game is not like real life situations where an individual HAS to adjust because he has no other options. If you are stuck in a job that you don't like, but it pays the bills and keeps a roof over your head, you suck it up and deal with it as best as you can. If you have very little money for food and you have to eat ramen every day for a month to put yourself through college, you suck it up and deal with it. In this game, if people are unhappy, they DO NOT have to deal with it. If people get bored because there is no challenge, if they are unhappy with game mechanics, they leave for somewhere else or they retire.

Respectfully Mark, leaving this game or retiring IS a way of "dealing with it".

Another way (more preferable, imo) is to make suggestions and then, let go of the outcome. If we want more control over a game, then we need to build our own. This is the devs's creation and if they want to make less money than anyone believes possible, that is their decision.

I tend to not worry about this as much thankfully. It keeps me sane. I try to focus on all we HAVE been given in this game, all the fun i've had and all the people I've met. All of this is far more positive than thinking the game isn't perfect.

I believe you get more results with kindness, caring and walking a mile in someone else's shoes. Imagining what OTHER things could be going on in the devs' minds, reminds me what a complex situation they have on a daily basis, while trying to keep us happy.

That's how I deal with it, anyways..

~ava
ava

Postby pcnpyrostud » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

ava wrote:
This game is not like real life situations where an individual HAS to adjust because he has no other options. If you are stuck in a job that you don't like, but it pays the bills and keeps a roof over your head, you suck it up and deal with it as best as you can. If you have very little money for food and you have to eat ramen every day for a month to put yourself through college, you suck it up and deal with it. In this game, if people are unhappy, they DO NOT have to deal with it. If people get bored because there is no challenge, if they are unhappy with game mechanics, they leave for somewhere else or they retire.

Another way (more preferable, imo) is to make suggestions and then, let go of the outcome. If we want more control over a game, then we need to build our own. This is the devs's creation and if they want to make less money than anyone believes possible, that is their decision.

I tend to not worry about this as much thankfully. It keeps me sane. I try to focus on all we HAVE been given in this game, all the fun i've had and all the people I've met. All of this is far more positive than thinking the game isn't perfect.

I believe you get more results with kindness, caring and walking a mile in someone else's shoes. Imagining what OTHER things could be going on in the devs' minds, reminds me what a complex situation they have on a daily basis, while trying to keep us happy.

~ava

+1.
pcnpyrostud

Postby Fieryshoe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:29 am

ava wrote:

~ava

There are only two ways I am looking at this situation:

1) From the viewpoint of what is best for the devs, and what will put the most money in their pockets

2) From the viewpoint of the player that cares about this game and is concerned about a few of the aspects of the game

If you want to retire or not play this game anymore, then that is your choice. No one is forcing you to stay and play. This is game is not a job or life and death. And that is why I personally am concerned about a few aspects of this game, all of which I have already offered solutions for. However, as I said, this is just a game and you do NOT have to stay and deal with it. In real life, however, you cannot just leave your job if you don't like it...just like that. You have other ramifications to consider. Food? Rent? Bills? Yeah, that is why we have to put up with bosses we don't like and customers/clients with bad attitudes. In this game, you do NOT have to deal with that. If you don't like the game anymore? Leave or retire. That is your answer. However, that solution is DETRIMENTAL to the Devs, because less players playing equals less money in their pockets.

That is all true, but unfortunately that is a horrible way to do business and will have them going bankrupt very quickly. My whole point is to put more money into their pockets and alert them to some of the concerns that myself and some of the other well known players in the game have with the game. Never once have I demanded that changes be done or else I am going to throw a tantrum. If they listen and choose to ignore, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Again, you are entitled to this way of thinking, but I am looking out for the long term future of this game and keeping as many players playing for as long as possible. When you hear the same complaints every day, and you see them on the forum, your next thought is to go out and do something about it. If I bury my head in the sand and pretend that problems don't exist in the game, six months from now when none of my friends are playing this game anymore...who will be to blame? Is that where I get angry and point the finger at the Devs or do I blame myself for not doing anything when I had the chance? You can keep a positive attitude every single day, but does it really do any good if you recognize a problem and do nothing about it?

Positive thinking will get you a long way in life. I myself am a firm believer in that. Unfortunately, if I keep repeating to myself, "The Invasion is not boring and pointless!" over and over again, that does not make it any less true. If I keep staring at the Fallen leaderboard, those same all-too-familiar names are not going to disappear and magically morph into different names. And mind you, no where on this forum have I attacked the Devs and been disrespectful. All i have done is brought to light some of the issues that MANY in the Dreamworld community have noticed. The Devs have always requested input from the community, this is a forum, so that is what I am doing. If people cannot handle the truth, that is their problem, not mine. I didn't make this post for people to throw bouquets of flowers at my feet all day. People can detest me for bringing these issues out into the open and try and bury their heads in the sand and pretend these issues don't exist, but in the end if even one of these issues is fixed for the better, then I did my job and the game (and everyone else) benefits from it.

Another way (more preferable, imo) is to make suggestions and then, let go of the outcome. If we want more control over a game, then we need to build our own.

If I truly care about something, I am not going to voice my opinion once and then forget about it. The squeaky wheel is the one that gets the oil, not the silent one that agonizes in silence and then eventually falls apart because it said nothing and no one knew it was suffering. And again, I am not being disrespectful or attacking the Devs. This is a forum, which is a place where people can express their opinions and help the Devs (hopefully) make this game better. And if we want more control over a game, the solution is NOT to run away and go make a new one....the solution is to stand your ground, express your opinion in a respectful, intelligent, organized manner, and then hope that the Devs at least read what you wrote. THAT is what you do. You don't run away from a problem, it will never go away like that.
The VV Family is currently searching for motivated individuals eager to improve their character. Contact me if you are interested.
Fieryshoe

Postby KingBagdemagus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:21 am

Fieryshoe wrote:
ava wrote:

~ava

There are only two ways I am looking at this situation:

1) From the viewpoint of what is best for the devs, and what will put the most money in their pockets

2) From the viewpoint of the player that cares about this game and is concerned about a few of the aspects of the game

If you want to retire or not play this game anymore, then that is your choice. No one is forcing you to stay and play. This is game is not a job or life and death. And that is why I personally am concerned about a few aspects of this game, all of which I have already offered solutions for. However, as I said, this is just a game and you do NOT have to stay and deal with it. In real life, however, you cannot just leave your job if you don't like it...just like that. You have other ramifications to consider. Food? Rent? Bills? Yeah, that is why we have to put up with bosses we don't like and customers/clients with bad attitudes. In this game, you do NOT have to deal with that. If you don't like the game anymore? Leave or retire. That is your answer. However, that solution is DETRIMENTAL to the Devs, because less players playing equals less money in their pockets.

That is all true, but unfortunately that is a horrible way to do business and will have them going bankrupt very quickly. My whole point is to put more money into their pockets and alert them to some of the concerns that myself and some of the other well known players in the game have with the game. Never once have I demanded that changes be done or else I am going to throw a tantrum. If they listen and choose to ignore, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Again, you are entitled to this way of thinking, but I am looking out for the long term future of this game and keeping as many players playing for as long as possible. When you hear the same complaints every day, and you see them on the forum, your next thought is to go out and do something about it. If I bury my head in the sand and pretend that problems don't exist in the game, six months from now when none of my friends are playing this game anymore...who will be to blame? Is that where I get angry and point the finger at the Devs or do I blame myself for not doing anything when I had the chance? You can keep a positive attitude every single day, but does it really do any good if you recognize a problem and do nothing about it?

Positive thinking will get you a long way in life. I myself am a firm believer in that. Unfortunately, if I keep repeating to myself, "The Invasion is not boring and pointless!" over and over again, that does not make it any less true. If I keep staring at the Fallen leaderboard, those same all-too-familiar names are not going to disappear and magically morph into different names. And mind you, no where on this forum have I attacked the Devs and been disrespectful. All i have done is brought to light some of the issues that MANY in the Dreamworld community have noticed. The Devs have always requested input from the community, this is a forum, so that is what I am doing. If people cannot handle the truth, that is their problem, not mine. I didn't make this post for people to throw bouquets of flowers at my feet all day. People can detest me for bringing these issues out into the open and try and bury their heads in the sand and pretend these issues don't exist, but in the end if even one of these issues is fixed for the better, then I did my job and the game (and everyone else) benefits from it.

Another way (more preferable, imo) is to make suggestions and then, let go of the outcome. If we want more control over a game, then we need to build our own.

If I truly care about something, I am not going to voice my opinion once and then forget about it. The squeaky wheel is the one that gets the oil, not the silent one that agonizes in silence and then eventually falls apart because it said nothing and no one knew it was suffering. And again, I am not being disrespectful or attacking the Devs. This is a forum, which is a place where people can express their opinions and help the Devs (hopefully) make this game better. And if we want more control over a game, the solution is NOT to run away and go make a new one....the solution is to stand your ground, express your opinion in a respectful, intelligent, organized manner, and then hope that the Devs at least read what you wrote. THAT is what you do. You don't run away from a problem, it will never go away like that.

I have to say I agree ... a win/win/win situation would be as follows:

The devs would get more money in their pocket from the revenue that the people closer to the median level range would bring in. The higher leveled people would get more excited about the game spending money on gems to enchant armor or build up ally skills, again more money in the devs' pockets.

The low and median level players would have a better chance at surviving in places such as hell or invasion or mystics (personally I like everything about the game), so the playing field will be evened out which means eventually, we won't see the same names on the Fallen, or the same guilds winning each city for Invasion or Mystics, which brings me to my next win.

The higher level players would end up getting more of a challenge, as many of the top players can get their caps in Invasion, Mystic and Fallen pretty quickly, so to end up having more people that can do the same thing and give them a challenge would be beneficial to everyone involved

Here's how it scales down

1) Devs heed suggestions on this forum post
a) The ability to survive for the low to middle ranged players increases
*) Players buy gems
-) Devs get money
**) Higher level players are challenged because more people are able to compete with them in content
--) Players buy gems
++) Devs get money

So in the long run these suggestions appeal to everyone involved. Thanks Fieryshoe and everyone are giving the devs suggestions on how to make this wonderful game that we play better.
lapsis bellatrix of !!! (H@@TERS)
Lvl 87 (8%)
Divine Blade

To presume that anyone is normal, is indeed an abnormality
KingBagdemagus

Postby Maria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:32 am

It's a shame that a nice "Thank You " post has dissolved into this. Can I resurrect the original intent of the thread please? Thanks Devs :)
Tracey
Titans

Maria

Postby capricedee » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:50 am

I know I just hate it when people reasonably exchange ideas in forums....

Sarcasm aside, I've been playing this game for [edit] 2 years now and I missed the event last year. I was originally disappointed at the cap this year, but it's worked out to take me at minimum 500 e to get all my Santa encounters. That is about my DW limit these days, at least until I can bulk up a bit more and hit the fallen/orc gate/everything else.

As for the conversation between Mark and Ava, I know I've seen it before. I believe it was the possessed boss update that upset a few people, and started this whole "Be thankful the developers are letting you play" vs "We give them our money, we should have a small voice in what happens with expansions and improvements" argument.

With that said, I am enjoying the event while wishing I had been able to participate last year!
Meow
capricedee

Postby ava » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Fieryshoe wrote:There are only two ways I am looking at this situation:

I would suggest that there are MORE viewpoints that are ALSO important. People creating any large project, or software,or even event manage a great many more viewpoints than the two views you suggest above.

Respectfully Mark, You are just one person with one opinion. How would you know what is "best for the devs"? Why not allow the devs the opportunity to be open to all sides of things from all levels of players in the game? You are very versed in what the higher level players want, but those that don't even talk in the forum (like many many middle to lower level players) also have to be considered. They are potential spenders on gems, so the devs need to consider those levels as well as the more verbal, higher level players.

Others also have opinions that may negate yours. Some in fact, may even have better ideas than you. If we are open to remembering this, the overall tone in this forum would be more inclusionary and positive.

Leave or retire. That is your answer. However, that solution is DETRIMENTAL to the Devs, because less players playing equals less money in their pockets.

Actually, that is not my answer. My answer is to be respectful to the devs.

(IF people can't do this, THEN they should leave. This will NOT make any company go bankrupt . Getting rid of the negativity often fosters an influx of people coming back to a game and bringing new people in.)

(mine)Another way (more preferable, imo) is to make suggestions and then, let go of the outcome. If we want more control over a game, then we need to build our own. This is the devs's creation and if they want to make less money than anyone believes possible, that is their decision.

(Fieryshoe)That is all true, but unfortunately that is a horrible way to do business and will have them going bankrupt very quickly. My whole point is to put more money into their pockets and alert them to some of the concerns that myself and some of the other well known players in the game have with the game.

Did you just say that allowing the devs to keep control over their own game will cause them to go bankrupt? I sure hope not. Honestly, they seem to have been able to create revenue and a game that we enjoy and do fairly well at it for 2 years. This is NOT our game. We play it.. but we aren't entitled to anything other than playing it within the terms of the TOS. WE aren't even "entitled" to make suggestions. We are simply allowed that.. thankfully. This is a good move on any good businessperson's part.

If I bury my head in the sand and pretend that problems don't exist in the game, six months from now when none of my friends are playing this game anymore...who will be to blame? Is that where I get angry and point the finger at the Devs or do I blame myself for not doing anything when I had the chance?

Again, the answer is to suggest civilly without a pissy tone. Even saying things along the lines of "i've never seen anything so stupid" is not the right way to deal with this. (If you wrote Mastercard with this kind of tone, you would likely get very little accomplished with that tone in your letter. Just an example.)

You can keep a positive attitude every single day, but does it really do any good if you recognize a problem and do nothing about it?

Yes. Actually it does. It creates a warm, fostering energy about you that permeates those that you are in contact with. But I didn't suggest you shouldn't do anything about it, either....

Positive thinking will get you a long way in life. I myself am a firm believer in that.

I don't see that, tbh. Your tone is often very "my way or the highway". It seems that if you discuss things and people hear and take on YOUR ideas, you are positive. But if that doesn't happen, then you are not positive at all. Again, my point is that a calmer, "let's see what we can do about this" approach would help everyone (not just the devs) feel more happy about coming into this forum.

If people cannot handle the truth, that is their problem, not mine.

Do you see that this attitude comes out in your posts? Do you feel it's ok to set people on edge simply because you need to voice your opinion (i.e. your "truth") ? I suggest that there are ways to get your opinion across without such a focus on JUST you. I know it's possible! Then we would have a win/win situation on our hands! Wouldn't that rock?

And if we want more control over a game, the solution is NOT to run away and go make a new one....the solution is to stand your ground, express your opinion in a respectful, intelligent, organized manner, and then hope that the Devs at least read what you wrote. THAT is what you do. You don't run away from a problem, it will never go away like that.

Respectfully, I would suggest that unless you are a shareholder or investor in DW, it is highly unlikely you will get any "control" in the game, Mark. And, it is interesting to note that you have jumped to a conclusion about my approach that is not factual.

Rather than repeat everything again and rehash etc, perhaps you could reread my posts and debate just the parts that I actually posted. Perhaps you feel you need to defend something here, but I'm not knocking you. I'm debating the overall approach that occurs in this forum, which is causing problems with many people outside your own circle of friends in this gaming community.

~~
Mark, I've been interacting with you on and off for a while, and that entire time we talked, you were always good at the talking part. The active listening part was the part that always was the issue. Respectfully, if you could realize that others have much to say, and even better ideas than you could have ... then it would be easier for you to see things that you can't see and therefore deal with. Things are not always how they appear at first glance. Looking at all sides of a situation gives far more input that works well in the overall picture.

My recent posts have been geared towards the overall picture and not just to you. I am speaking to you because you are open to debating this, but for the most part the problematic posts have not been yours. You seemed to have taken the "ungrateful" comment personally and that's your right to do so i suppose, even if it wasn't focussed on you specifically. You have a lot of influence with pockets of people in this game community and all I've ever hoped to see from you is more openness to seeing the WHOLE picture. This is not a devs vs. higher players issue here. It is everyone's right to be treated well in life and in this game.

Putting a game before how we treat others is NOT how to get a better game. Insisting you have the only answers/suggestions is not how to get a better game. Your intent seems to be on ensuring a better game - just make sure the priority is treating people well (including the devs and lower levels in the game) and I think better results will naturally occur.

I hope you have a great Christmas Mark. I truly do. Merry Merry Christmas to you and yours...

~ava
ava

Postby Atamar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:35 pm

As the original poster I sincerely meant what I said, I'm thankful. Since this event has started I have found 63 pills along with a lot of other good stuff and two of the days I barely played because my kids had eye surgery. I believe the devs are doing nothing more than trying to keep the game balanced so that it continues to remain a fun game for us all to play. Though I did not play last Christmas I remember how Easter was. With the new increased inventory space, if we had those kind of refil options it would quickly off balance the game, which could lead to its demise.

Atamar, TM3
Atamar

Postby Fieryshoe » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:08 am

Respectfully Mark, You are just one person with one opinion. How would you know what is "best for the devs"?

Where did I say that I know what is best for the devs? Don't put words in my mouth. From the beginning, I have said that I am only SUGGESTING things for the Devs to consider. Whether or not they want to follow it, is up to them and I will not lose any sleep over it. I did my job already.

Why not allow the devs the opportunity to be open to all sides of things from all levels of players in the game?

That is what this forum and this thread is for, for EVERYONE and not just me, to give their input to the Devs. Unfortunately, because I write alot and am quite passionate about what I speak of, people take that stance as I am demanding things be done or else I will throw a big tantrum and stop playing the game. Needless to say, I am still playing the game whether or not they implement any of our suggestions.

You are very versed in what the higher level players want, but those that don't even talk in the forum (like many many middle to lower level players) also have to be considered. They are potential spenders on gems, so the devs need to consider those levels as well as the more verbal, higher level players.

If you go back and read my posts, you will actually see that I am trying to stick up for the midlevel and lower players...like the ones that were looking forward to the Santa event that we had last year, or the ones that have no chance in placing in the Fallen runs because the same people keep on taking the top three spots, which are really the only ones that matter to get the desired equipment. People are either not reading my posts or are assuming things about me that are just not true. The money to be had in this game is NOT with the high level players, it is to be had from the midlevel and below players who are looking to take their game to another level.

Others also have opinions that may negate yours. Some in fact, may even have better ideas than you. If we are open to remembering this, the overall tone in this forum would be more inclusionary and positive.

I welcome any and all opinions...that is what a FORUM is for. Seems like though, some people just want me to shut up so they can just plant flowers all around the place and sing songs about love. :?

This is NOT our game. We play it.. but we aren't entitled to anything other than playing it within the terms of the TOS. WE aren't even "entitled" to make suggestions. We are simply allowed that.. thankfully. This is a good move on any good businessperson's part.

I don't know what point you are trying to make. Never once did I want to do anything other than make suggestions. What the Devs want to do with the game is their business. I, and a few others, have suggested some ideas that could make them even more money because people would be excited about them. I don't know what you are trying to suggest here at all.

Again, the answer is to suggest civilly without a pissy tone. Even saying things along the lines of "i've never seen anything so stupid" is not the right way to deal with this. (If you wrote Mastercard with this kind of tone, you would likely get very little accomplished with that tone in your letter. Just an example.)

Exactly who is being pissy here? I haven't had a single post deleted, nor have I had any messages sent to me on facebook. I am not mincing any words, I am being direct, straight forward, and to the point. I have not attacked anyone on this forum, I have not used any derogatory terms, and I certainly have not attacked the Devs. In fact, there hasn't even been a post saying "Jeebus, Shoe, you are a moron stop typing already bla bla bla!" I have merely typed out some suggestions, nothing more. So, once again, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

I don't see that, tbh. Your tone is often very "my way or the highway". It seems that if you discuss things and people hear and take on YOUR ideas, you are positive. But if that doesn't happen, then you are not positive at all. Again, my point is that a calmer, "let's see what we can do about this" approach would help everyone (not just the devs) feel more happy about coming into this forum.

I think you are reading way too much into things, but again, we will have to agree to disagree. Saying that my tone is "my way or the highway" implies that I will do something radical or extreme if I don't get my way. Meanwhile, I have said quite a few times already that I will not lose any sleep if the Devs do not use my ideas. I am just a single player in this game, in the grand scheme of things, I am a tiny gnat on the side of a barn in this game. But, that is the wonderful thing about having a forum...you can have your opinion, and I can have mine. ;)

Do you see that this attitude comes out in your posts? Do you feel it's ok to set people on edge simply because you need to voice your opinion (i.e. your "truth") ? I suggest that there are ways to get your opinion across without such a focus on JUST you. I know it's possible! Then we would have a win/win situation on our hands! Wouldn't that rock?

I don't understand what you are trying to do here. You are either reading WAY too much into my posts. If you want to interpret my posts in that manner, go right ahead. However, as I said before...I still do not have one message on facebook or on this forum complaining to me that I am being mean and nasty to people. This is a forum, people are allowed to present their opinions and DEBATE. If you are thin skinned and cannot debate each other like adults without resorting to trolling, name calling or personal attacks, then you really should stay away from the forums. And for you to suggest that this has been focused all about me IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. I specifically stated that I wanted the Santa events for my friends that were excited about the past one, I suggested a nerf (lockout) to the Fallen runs which would definitely impact me and my guild, and I suggested a few changes to the invasion which would benefit EVERYONE and put alot more fun into the event. Explain to me how that is me making it all about me? :?:

I'm debating the overall approach that occurs in this forum, which is causing problems with many people outside your own circle of friends in this gaming community.

Huh? I don't even have the slightest clue how to respond to that one....

Mark, I've been interacting with you on and off for a while, and that entire time we talked, you were always good at the talking part. The active listening part was the part that always was the issue. Respectfully, if you could realize that others have much to say, and even better ideas than you could have ... then it would be easier for you to see things that you can't see and therefore deal with. Things are not always how they appear at first glance. Looking at all sides of a situation gives far more input that works well in the overall picture.

All of this has nothing to do with this thread. And again, exactly where on this forum have I said that i did not care about other people's opinions? I don't even understand what point you are trying to make with this statement, other than putting a bunch of things that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed and trying to spiral it out of control. Again, this is a forum for discussing ideas and giving suggestions to the devs. Never once have I said that my opinion was the only one that mattered, and NEVER have I said that I did not care about what others had to say. My suggestions would help EVERYONE in the game, the high end players, mid levels, and people just starting out. I am just one voice and I don't proclaim myself to be better than anyone else. So, to be quite honest, this last statement of yours is just flat out bizarre and confusing, because I don't know where you are trying to go with it besides painting me out to be someone that I am not.

You seemed to have taken the "ungrateful" comment personally and that's your right to do so i suppose, even if it wasn't focussed on you specifically.

If you are not a Dev or forum moderator, I don't understand why you would be concerned about this. Explain?

You have a lot of influence with pockets of people in this game community and all I've ever hoped to see from you is more openness to seeing the WHOLE picture.

What, am I Ralph Macchio and you are Pat Morita? I didn't know I had a secret sensei. ;)

This is not a devs vs. higher players issue here. It is everyone's right to be treated well in life and in this game.

Sigh...where did I ever say that there was Devs vs. High level players? I never once said that. And where did I write that I cared only about the high level players, when the suggestions I have made deal with changes that would benefit everyone in the game, not just the high level players?

I hope you have a great Christmas Mark. I truly do. Merry Merry Christmas to you and yours...

Same to you. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go shake my cane at some christmas carolers outside and go laugh at Tiny Tim some more. I have a reputation that I need to maintain. ;)
The VV Family is currently searching for motivated individuals eager to improve their character. Contact me if you are interested.
Fieryshoe

Postby TomHyberger » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:52 am

lol man you people take this shit way too seriously
TomHyberger

PreviousNext

Return to Facebook Server