Losing arena action points

Losing arena action points

Postby armageddon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 am

I want to report a bug of losing arena action points (the 20 fights/day, not the score). I've experienced this several times. The game crashed on the pet re-arranging screen before a fight, due to "Data error......". When it restarts, the action point was deducted without actually carrying out the fight. (I believe you can find it in your logs)

You clearly don't understand "atomicity" in database, and the importance of being able to recover things correctly upon crashes, which happens so frequently to mobile apps due to network instability. Please fix this ASAP. It's really annoying.
armageddon

Re: Losing arena action points

Postby admin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, data errors in the game is very hard to recover from without restarting the app (it means the game data is not in-sync between the client and the server, nothing really have to do with the database). However, you are correct that we probably shouldn't be deducting fights when data error occurs, so I will forward this concern to our dev team. Further more, if you can provide more information on when you happen to see these errors while you are fighting (eg. does it only happen if you change formation, or use battle items, or on a bad connection) and which version of the app you are using, it might help us track down the actual bug that is causing the data errors.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Talon Lake » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 pm

I have this often, I find its if i go to homescreen and leave the game running, then go back and start a fight
It does this for energy and arena fights. Perhaps the energy / arena points should be taken on hitting "Start" Not upon clicking the target.
Dreamworld
Name - Talon | Guild - Member of DB2

Time World
Facebook| Name - Talon | Galaxy 9
Talon Lake

Postby admin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 pm

It's done when you click no the opponent so players can't close an app once they find an opponent they cannot defeat. We already have a fix for returning the fight count on Data Error in hand, and it should be patched soon.
admin
Site Admin

Postby armageddon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:59 am

I totally agree with Talon. The energy / arena points should be taken on hitting "Start" Not upon clicking the target. It happens so often that the game is stuck after hitting "Start", because of bad connection or whatever. It doesn't even say "Data error", but just keeps loading forever.

If you can't tell from the server side whether a lost connection is due to bad network condition, or app termination from the user, you should treat it as the former and refund the energy/arena points.

In the case you described as "so players can't close an app once they find an opponent they cannot defeat." I think it's already handled by your scoring scheme. Under your original setting where the arena action points are taken upon hitting "Start", if all players are patient enough, the strongest will get on top anyway, because in the last couple of days of each week, only the strongest can score 6-7 per fight while staying on top. And only the strong ones can beat all five opponents in the same class and get the bonus. So I really consider this update as a bad schema change, rather than a bug fix. I would even suggest having an option of quitting a battle at no cost (pvp and pve) before hitting the "Start" button.
armageddon

Postby armageddon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 am

In short, I understand your concern of potential abuse, but I think you should make the quality of service the top priority, and try to reduce or avoid abuse by good mechanism design. But it seems to me you are doing it the other way around, which is wrong.

admin wrote:It's done when you click no the opponent so players can't close an app once they find an opponent they cannot defeat. We already have a fix for returning the fight count on Data Error in hand, and it should be patched soon.
armageddon

Return to Dragon Tear Support