Star members

Star members

Postby Proton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am

Hi,

I wanted to share my opinion on the star status in guild and also get other people's opinion on the matter.

As it is, the amount of star members is restricted. This means that even if everyone contributes the same gold, is equally active and do about the same contribution to the guild wars, not everyone can get the star.

I have asked over and over for this to change, but sadly it hasn't. This has the potential to create disagreement within guild and makes the guild leader's job a lot harder.

My suggestion has always been to not limit the star amount in guild. The leader who has the final choice, can decide if he wants to promote his members to star, and if he doesn't think a member deserves star status then he won't.

So what do you guys think? Is the star status something not that important that it shouldn't matter? 2% can go a long way to some weaker cards. I personally hope the devs can make a change.
Proton

Re: Star members

Postby DrRickso » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:02 am

I agree, Proton...

If everyone contributes in a guild, then all guild members should earn ALL of the benefits of that guild. I can understand having to appoint Star members, to prevent non-contributing members from reaping benefits that others have worked towards (even though those people would likely be removed sooner than later), but there should be no limit to star members.

From what I've seen & heard a bunch of guilds use donations to determine star membership, but someone who joins a guild at this point will have an uphill battle trying to donate enough coins to contend with people who have been in the guild since its inception.

Also, the small % bump does help... there was a time (not that long ago) where the 8% hp bonus was the difference between completing a panzer map and not for me. Also, why shouldn't everyone be able to take advantage of the guild point % bump if your guild has unlocked it?
DrRickso

Postby admin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 am

This has been brought up before, back when the guild shop was limited to non-star members. However, that restriction was removed a while ago and there really is only the 1-2% buff difference remaining. We understand this can some extra work and some possible disagreements for a few guilds where everyone are equality contributing, but this mechanism must be preserved to continuously encourage (even) more guild contributions among members. Also, in some ways, this also help discourage the strongest players of the entire server forming into one or two super guilds (which will eventually destroy some competitive elements of the game).
admin
Site Admin

Postby DrRickso » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:40 pm

I agree that there should be a small way to reward key contributors of a guild, but ultimately, the point of a guild is to create a community where even it's lowest members can benefit from the group as a whole. My opinion is everyone in the guild should get the max % increase the guild has unlocked- so how about having star members earn an extra pal point recruit per day, or extra 'special bonus' per day, etc? that would still give some incentive for being a star member, leaving your star ranking system relatively intact.

Anyway- assuming that you have no intention of changing the star system further, will you be implementing additional guild lab upgrades anytime soon? At this point in a maxed guild lab- contributing gold to the guild only serves the player with guild points (while useful), but that doesn't benefit the guild as a community unless new lab upgrades are regularly available.
DrRickso

Postby Proton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

This limited star members has the potential to create animosity within the guild and hurts the guild more than helps it. The number one reason why people donate gold is to earn gp, while guild upgrade is second. Almost everyone is anxiously waiting for that Zeus, naga, or snake spirit to pop in that shop. Sadly it has become even harder with those useless exp dragons taking up space.

And you mentioned that it helps discourage forming super guilds. Well if you haven't noticed, super guilds have appeared since guild wards. Just look at the Gw history. It is the same guilds appearing in top 5 for the last 3 Gw.
Proton

Postby DrRickso » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Proton wrote:The number one reason why people donate gold is to earn gp, while guild upgrade is second. Almost everyone is anxiously waiting for that Zeus, naga, or snake spirit to pop in that shop. Sadly it has become even harder with those useless exp dragons taking up space.

And you mentioned that it helps discourage forming super guilds. Well if you haven't noticed, super guilds have appeared since guild wards. Just look at the Gw history. It is the same guilds appearing in top 5 for the last 3 Gw.

That's my point... donating gp is primarily a self-serving priority- be it earning GP or working towards star membership and the lack of available lab upgrades makes that donation useless for a maxed out guild as a whole. Still waiting for my Zeus and Naga btw... :lol:

Yes, super guilds are unavoidable and to your point already here... trying to stop this through star membership only leads to preventing a more cohesive guild and does nothing to actually stop super guilds from forming.

... and for the record, I'm a star member in a "super guild" so I'm not in here selfishly complaining. I'm simply stating that the current system is not ideal and can recognize that even though it does not apply to me.
DrRickso

Postby Midas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Maybe current system is not perfect, but system where all members of guild equals - worse.

This difference create motivating factor in guilds, add some struggle inside guild and between guilds.
Star membership is only thing that less powerful guild can offer to better player.

And all of this good, because static guild is boring guild.
Midas aka Howrus. GM of Fairy Tails.
Midas

Postby Proton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Haha Dr., I am still waiting for those cards too. High five!
Proton

Postby Boop » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 am

If all members are star members, why bother having any rank?

If there is no ranking system, why have a vice or leader?

If there is no vice or leader, what do i have for breakfast?

Ranks are always useful in any organisation. Personal opinion.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby xXimmortalXx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 am

It's like i'm a slave to Boop and he's my master :(
xXimmortalXx

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion