ELITE - Sup players?

ELITE - Sup players?

Postby Boop » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 pm

ELITE,

As a previous member of your guild, kindly invited by Z, I take great pleasure in watching you over-take Fairy Tales by a considerable amount. I have since however developed a great relationship with some of the Illumination folk, so I'm not sure how to feel about you overtaking them this war. In any case, friendly competition (and not so friendly competition (sup Mee?)) makes this game function.

It's good to see your recruitment efforts have done you well, but until you actually lock in second place:

Ps: I love you
Last edited by Boop on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Re: ELITE - Sup players?

Postby DrRickso » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm

lol boop!

definately a good race going on between 2-4 atm
DrRickso

Postby Lickzy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Without the picture this really loses its merit
username: lickzy
guild: obscurity
player id: acencd
Lickzy

Postby Bigbadjohn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 am

Hmm not sure about the term 'good race' - 2nd/3rd looks like it is going to be a battle of $$$. This is going to illustrate one of the points about the guild war rewards I hate most.

1) A number of players are going to spend a lot of $$$ for negligible rewards (stack of guild points...super!)

2) There could be internal friction in guilds as players fight over 2nd spot for the 7* card.

Interestingly looking at the guild rewards, should I be in the team that comes 3rd, I may be in a position that I would have been far better off leaving one of the top guilds, joining
a 'zombie' guild coming to with 50k and getting rewards higher than if I'd been the 4th best player in the 3rd best guild!

There are some good points about the new reward structure, but there are some "not so good" points too - currently the system that Playmage have put in place is actually discouraging me from spending a few $$
on the game. It seems that there are two binary options at the moment

1) Spend a shed load of $$$/£££ and thrive, or

2) Spend nothing and be content with your lot.

This polarisation cannot be healthy for the long term success of the game IMHO.
Bigbadjohn

Postby DrRickso » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:01 am

Bigbadjohn wrote:Hmm not sure about the term 'good race' - 2nd/3rd looks like it is going to be a battle of $$$.

How 'bout "close race"? :)

While it is a business for Playmage, not a charity, I do agree that there should be more ways to level the rewards structure for better long term success. That said- it's my own selfishness in wanting that since I've invested a lot of time in this game and I really enjoy it, but the reality is, PM is likely striking while the iron is hot, trying to get as much $ as possible, and when that well runs dry, they'll just create another pay2win type game. Would you rather have $1000 today or $100 a month for the next 12 months? It's like the lump some in lotto- most people would rather have the bulk in hand as opposed to a little at a time even if it equates to more.

Side note- it's funny how some of the reasoning for preventing certain game changes are pointed towards preventing super guilds, yet it's the guild war reward structure itself that causes them to form. To your point, if you're in the 3rd place guild, you're better off starting a zombie guild for a guaranteed 7* when hitting 50k, but #1 or #2 gets to benefit from each others gem spending with 4 members guaranteed an 8*. This situation has already caused many high level players in that situation to join a top guild to pool resources, while lower levels go the zombie route.
DrRickso

Postby Bigbadjohn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:39 am

Side note- it's funny how some of the reasoning for preventing certain game changes are pointed towards preventing super guilds, yet it's the guild war reward structure itself that causes them to form. To your point, if you're in the 3rd place guild, you're better off starting a zombie guild for a guaranteed 7* when hitting 50k, but #1 or #2 gets to benefit from each others gem spending with 4 members guaranteed an 8*. This situation has already caused many high level players in that situation to join a top guild to pool resources, while lower levels go the zombie route.

Yes I agree that the current game model of gouging large sums of money from a few and then recycle and restart is a pain but the industry seems to like it - occasionally games go big but the pay2win is not what as a 'games player' I am looking for. I could easily throw money and do well but at the end of the day I see at as a hollow victory.
I can see the PM need to pay themselves a salary but it would be nice if there was a concept of people trying to build things to endure. I've been around the games industry for a long time and there needs to more emphasis on "games design" in these types of game in order to balance them and create the 'evolutionary path' the keep the games fresh.
Bigbadjohn

Postby fire ice » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Well put gentlemen. I agree in order for long term success for this game there needs to be changes it's general pay2play strategy. I don't mind spending $10-$20 a week playing a game I really enjoy. That's less than a bar tab on a Saturday night. But it's current setup that's chump change and will not get you very far. I don't know what "does" need to be done, but agree it needs to change.
fire ice

Postby Mumm » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:19 pm

I have to also agree winning a guild war by whoever pays the most is a pointless fight and one I can't take seriously.
Mumm

Postby Boop » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:25 pm

fire ice wrote:I don't mind spending $10-$20 a week playing a game I really enjoy.

Who is fire ice, why does he make good points, and can we recruit him?
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby Lickzy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Boop wrote:
fire ice wrote:I don't mind spending $10-$20 a week playing a game I really enjoy.

Who is fire ice, why does he make good points, and can we recruit him?

He is/was the leader of another guild and likely unrecruitable. Besides, we are full until I get DrRick booted and Clos joins BattleToads... waterfrogs... whatever their guild name is.
username: lickzy
guild: obscurity
player id: acencd
Lickzy

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion