Why Dragon Era is not favorite anymore

Why Dragon Era is not favorite anymore

Postby mefa » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 am

Here, I explain why this game is not my favorite anymore after spending 10s of $ and 1000s of hours of my time to it. (and got disappointment in turn)

If you don't want to read the rest, I can summarize it to one word:
-The game is very very unfair to people who start the game lately, why? :

Developer manipulate every parameters in the game, almost impossible for you to succeed unless you spend 1,000s of hours and 1,000 of $.

Examples:

1-From early this year, you can't buy the same card if they appear in the guild shop! therefore, odds for you to get best cards are many many times less compared who installed the game in 2013 or earlier (There are lots of discussions in this forum and developers say they didn't know you can buy the same card multiple times for years and you shouldn't!! Thanks)

2-Chances of getting HP cards and Panzer is reducing further and further.

3-Panzers are not offered any more after May 2014! what? after playing half year and building up to be able to hardly get them, now they are going to be gone!! Thanks!

Here are more details:

There are ~340 cards, other than the followings (~34), the rest are almost useless:

-8* defense cards like Cyclops king and Dragon Paladin. You only can obtain the 6* version through Gem-recruit. The odds are 1 in 1000s. You need to spend $1000s.
After all of these, you only have 6* version. You have to level them up (takes forever) then you should have 2 of the same card (now you understand why odds are too low) plus some special materials to evolve them to 7*! The same procedure should be repeated and you should level up the resulted 7* to evolve it to 8*!

-7* HP cards, these are essential cards for you to proceed in the game, you can get 6* from guild shop but again odds are around 1 in 10,000s. Again the same painful and never ending process to evolve them.

-Panzer cards. These are 7* cards you can recruit them achieving special levels. You need to be very strong in order to do so (I am 5 month a few hours a day in the game and haven’t got any panzer yet)
Let take a closer look: If you already have a good team, it takes more than 1 hour of spinning to complete these panzer levels which you get doziness at the end! You need golden chests and chances of getting 1 is around 1 to 10 every time you play. Then chances of getting panzer is 1 to every 10 golden chest! so you have to spend 100 of hours! and 100s of $ for energy and revive potions to have a chance to get one!

I feel like contribution to global warming playing these levels in the current situation.

Now, the chances of getting a panzer not used to be 1 in 100 hours of game play but much much better and now it is your turn the chances are so low!

-Dragons: worse cards ever (you get a 5* at the beginning of the game). You get 2* baby dragons, you need a pair of the same, takes hours to evolve it to 3* youth! then 4 to have 4*, 8 to have 5*....16 to have 6* which are now a medium card because all of a sudden they skill appear in 25 turns compared to 10 turns of 2-3-4-5*
If you are ... enough to evolve them to 7 and 8* it is equivalent to 128 baby dragons!! leveling up half of them to level 20, spending numerous evolution materials, maybe 1,000 hours of work
and finally they are not as good as the above mentioned cards (Myself after 5 months of constantly play have some 6* and 5* dragons when I got disappointed about these facts)
PS: 8* dragon is nothing comapred to a 7* panzer!

What is going to be the next big disappointment? I can take anymore. What about you?

To developers: The game has all kind of disappointment to new players, please don't add up any further and thanks again for increasing the chance of baby dragons appearance in the shop.
mefa

Re: Why Dragon Era is not favorite anymore

Postby Midas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Please, name a non Player vs Player game that remains funny after 1000 hours of playing it.
Midas aka Howrus. GM of Fairy Tails.
Midas

Postby DrRickso » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 pm

I've played the game for many months and agree on a few points
1) panzers basically broke the game... no need to rotate in extra cards once you have a couple of these
2) the shop limts severely hurts newer players
3) dragons are useless thanks to panzers and shop limits

As I've stated in my topic about upcoming content, there are some mechanics flaws that really hurt what could be an even better game... PM has done well to put a product out and strives to make good updates and changes, but sadly not all of the choices will benefit the entire community... at the end of the day they make their choices ultimately for profit much like every other company.

I've spent an absurd amount of time and money in the game, and while I can justify the money by mirroring to the hours of entertainment I'd received, I'm nearing the end of my Dragon Era journey as well... I'd like to hold out until the update to see if the changes will respark my interest, but I also worry it may be too little too late. I guess we'll see soon.
DrRickso

Postby ZOOT » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 pm

the only thing is like to see is more ways to get gems
(for example Tower of saviors has almost every day 1 free gem or a 50/50 card so nor bad nor good still it make it more fun)
look i cant compare games because all are different but thats what i like to see!!!
ZOOT

Postby Xanity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Midas wrote:Please, name a non Player vs Player game that remains funny after 1000 hours of playing it.

Ha! Midas there are (you should restrict by the platforms too):
-Monster Hunter (1k hours+ only? bitch please.... (meme intended) Many people in this world that play this game and still have fun with it, with average gameplay time ranging from 1k-2k hours)
-Borderlands
-Disgaea

I can tell you more, but this proves that games that are still fun to be played more than 1k hours

Also to answer OP question about why Dragon Era is not favorite anymore, that's because the design flaws of the game, about the not so creative strategy for the team composition (check Tower of Savior, then you will know why that game is very popular and still being played by many end users, their design is flexible and you can create more creative combinations of team in ToS). Also, please do note that Playmage is not a big company, they are still growing, so don't expect too much from them (for now). I will just end it here, since it will become wall of texts if I continue to explain it all.
Last edited by Xanity on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Era ~Xanity aka "Grand Slayer"~
Cards with max skill level: x2 Panzer Sea/x3 Fire/x1 Earth/x2 Holy/x1 Night Dragon (Skill level: 5/5)
Ongoing skill leveling: 7*Seer of Omniscient (Light Raid Boss) (Skill level: 1/6)
Xanity

Postby mefa » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:05 pm

DrRickso wrote:I've played the game for many months and agree on a few points
1) panzers basically broke the game... no need to rotate in extra cards once you have a couple of these
2) the shop limts severely hurts newer players
3) dragons are useless thanks to panzers and shop limits

As I've stated in my topic about upcoming content, there are some mechanics flaws that really hurt what could be an even better game... PM has done well to put a product out and strives to make good updates and changes, but sadly not all of the choices will benefit the entire community... at the end of the day they make their choices ultimately for profit much like every other company.

I've spent an absurd amount of time and money in the game, and while I can justify the money by mirroring to the hours of entertainment I'd received, I'm nearing the end of my Dragon Era journey as well... I'd like to hold out until the update to see if the changes will respark my interest, but I also worry it may be too little too late. I guess we'll see soon.

Thank you and xanity for the comments and trying to make the game alive, however, I see that developers make opposite actions (limiting purchase in guild shop, reducing the chance to get gold chest and a pazer out of it, vanishing panzer levels etc)

midas, the game was fun but all the above mentioned changes are very disappointing, please read my comment fully, a player like you who has enjoyed getting favorable cards lot easier than us can never understand how we feel
mefa

Postby DrRickso » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm

@Xanity... I ****ing LOVE Monster Hunter btw...
Sorry to derail the topic- but I just put in a 8 hour bender in MH3U and thought it was funny to see it mentioned in here.
Also Disgaea is one of my favorite games (series) of all time.
DrRickso

Postby slacks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 pm

To OPs levelling point... I always thought it would be more fun to level cards by using them on a team when playing levels. But I've never had an issue with this part of the game.

The dragons never made sense to me, even after the CD was changed from 30 to 25. IMO its much harder to get two 7* dragons than two panzers. There's nothing other than CP that makes it more valuable. But this has been talked about before so blah blah blah.

Would love to see the levels get 'flipped' once you beat the game making each level much harder and offering better cards as the bonus. This alone could double gameplay. But again, I feel like I'm turning this into a suggestion thread. I agree with the sentiments above from Xan and DrRick.
Dragon Era | slacks - a6355d | Guild - Elite
slacks

Postby Durst » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 pm

midas, the game was fun but all the above mentioned changes are very disappointing, please read my comment fully, a player like you who has enjoyed getting favorable cards lot easier than us can never understand how we feel

I've been playing for two months and seven days. I have no panzers, only a single 6* hp card, and none of the other cards you've listed besides a pair of 5* dragons. I anticipate never getting a single panzer and realize that PM will likely never nerf them, giving a permanent advantage to early players. But I still enjoy this game for its successes. I'm sure it's very possible to get bored of this game if you've been playing five months and are in the same position I am, but creating a thread for the sole purpose of complaining is neither productive nor purposeful.
Durst

Postby admin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Just to clarify couple misconceptions mentioned in the opening post:

- The panzer drop rate has not been changed in months; only the first panzer from the very first rotation long time ago had higher drop rates. There always have been players complaining at different times about getting lower odds when they get into a streak of bad luck, or stopped having streak of good luck.

- The odds of getting HP cards in the guild shop technically have gone up since the guild shop change, but getting 2 more of same obviously have gone down due to the limit. The change actually helps newer player to at least get a HP card sooner from the guild shop. Keep in mind that those card weren't even included in the shop for a while, so earlier players doesn't always mean getting better things.

- Once you play long enough to come in contact with various different higher level cards, then you will find there are much more than 34 useful cards in the deck. Each have have their own special uses in different stages and situations. There will be more cards added to the game in the future as well. Even the basic dragons are actually not bad cards once you can raise their skill levels to much higher due to their low command cost (and raising their skill levels will become much easier with the new special dungeon drops).

Please keep in mind that there will always be time-limited cards as long as they are boss cards dropped by the special dungeons. The new Horseman of the Apocalypse boss cards will probably be available for even shorter period of time compared to Panzers. While we might not have cards exactly same as Panzers in the rotation again, all future special dungeon cards will be time-limited collector cards with their own uses. For players who have been playing longer, ability to have more of these cards are indeed a perk and reward for playing longer, and they deserve it.

The whole "things were so much easier before and everything gets harder" mentality is completely wrong, as there are so many aspects of the game that became easier for new players as time progresses as we add new features over time. For those who were there in the beginning, there weren't even a guild system or guild war rewards, nor was their autospin or multiple teams to make things easier; there was also no raid bosses/rewards nor jewel dragon exp cards. There were no special events with sale or drop bonuses, no mail feature, no potions on the spin wheel, game crashed more often with no recovery, and defensive buff were ruined by free spins. Once the next expansion arrives, we will also be increase max helper selection list making the game easier than before. This trend won't stop here either as game will continue to improve.

Hope this addresses and clarifies your concerns. If you have any additional feedback or questions, feel free to send a private message to me or pmsupport.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Dragon Era Discussion