Arena change

Arena change

Postby x187xevil » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Do somthing about the arena it's boring and rewards are useless make it more of a point to participate
x187xevil

Re: Arena change

Postby Boop » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I find gems pretty useful. :/ To each their own.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby admin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello x187xevil. I am not sure what you mean by useless as even free potions and pal points for the lowest reward have some uses, not to mention the free gems for ranks above 10/20. We recently added a Hall of Fame feature that adds some more incentive to place into the top 10 of their tier. Also, we may consider extending the reward tiers once we have enough players in such placing into the top 100 would become difficult.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Durst » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 pm

While I don't agree that the arena is "boring" or its rewards "useless," I do have a comment on a related topic. The rewards for top-30 players at all three tiers are very respectable. Whether you're getting a pair of rpots or 30 gems or a guaranteed 6* card, they're all nice and worth putting in the time for. That said, if you do worse than 30th, your reward is 1000 pal points. Doesn't matter if you're level 7 or level 170, you get 1000 pal points, which equates to 5 random cards between 2 and 4 stars. If I was level 170, I can't imagine wanting five cards that are guaranteed to never go higher than six stars. I'm only level 81 and have almost every card that starts at four stars, and I definitely have all the ones below that. By the time I'm level 100 I ought to have all of them. So the only purpose for those five free cards at the higher levels is strengthening, and that still costs gold.

What this means is that I will never enter the arena unless I am 100% sure I will get higher than 30th for the week. The pal points don't even feel like a consolation prize for a tier3 player. I could see something more level-appropriate, like a single potion, a 5/6* card that changes on a weekly basis (ala guild war rewards), a 5/6* dragon card, 100k gold, or even just an increased quantity of pal points, rather than the same amount you'd get if you spent ten tickets at level 10. Whenever someone complains about pal points on the forums, I always see "they're mostly intended as an incentive for lower-level players to keep playing." But if that's the case, why are they being offered to top-level players as a "reward?"

I recognize that a huge update has just come out, and I'm not looking for any big changes, especially not in the near future. Just something to consider for the next update.
Durst

Postby Boop » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Durst wrote:The pal points don't even feel like a consolation prize for a tier3 player. I could see something more level-appropriate, etc

Being in Tier 3 makes me want to agree with you (because selfish reasons), however we need to consider the fact that a lot of players who are 'behind' are only falling further. This game has a steep curve, but once you get over it the whole game plateaus. If anything the Tier 2 needs a bigger hand to deal with Chapter 4/5 than Tier 3 needs for Chapter 7+

Tier 3 is a lovely place to be. Beating new chapters on cooldown as they're launched is cool and all. But giving out more free stuff is not what a Tier 3 player needs. (I don't have the answer to what we need because it's complicated and long, but Arena hand outs for under 30th is not it).

This is actually a very difficult thing to balance. If anything, swapping Guild Points and/or Pal Points into Sailor Miles (at a very low rebate) might be my only real suggestions. Like, 1000 - 1 low.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby Durst » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:08 pm

I'll agree the game does need some balancing at the mid-level. You can't get anywhere without at least one hp beast and can't beat the best stuff without two, and yet the only sure way to get one is sailor miles. So perhaps your suggestion is a good one and a conversion to sailor miles might be in order. However I'd argue we just need a stage that provides one as the bonus card for complete collection. We'll have to wait a week for the new dungeon to see if that's been done.

I'm found chapter 4 pretty manageable if you have a doll or priestess and a few succubus queens, vampire princesses, etc., which were easy to get from the first panzer levels. Chapter 5 isn't much harder with the exception of holy lake. Those five levels are just unnaturally hard compared to the temple levels. I beat them mostly by luck, and lost a lot of stamina doing it. Won't be going back for collection for some time.

But I digress. Arena stuffs.
Durst

Postby Ragnarok72 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:46 am

Well up to some point u can succeed without HP cards. At lvl 135 I dont even have one HP beast and I still managed to get several panzers and have finished chapter 5 already... I'm now about to start the light chapter in chapter 6, but I think I'll be able to finish it as well. Although I'd prefered an easier ride it's not impossible without HP card...

Being able to trade in Pal Points for Sailor Miles would be an excellent solution, as pal points are mostly rewarded if u're playing actively. It would be nice to see those who spend time on the game also be rewarded with some more decent cards :) I'd rather have 100 sailor miles than 10k pal points...
Ragnarok72

Postby slacks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Ragnarok72 wrote:I'd rather have 100 sailor miles than 10k pal points...

I’ve been an advocate of putting pal points to better use for a long time. I haven’t had a use for them since I was lvl 30-40 or so. Now it’s more of an annoying notification that I can ‘recruit new crew now’ when I have no need for the cards. However, I’m not saying they’re a bad idea – I think it’s a great idea and gives incentive to check in every day, rewarding those who do play actively (as mentioned). But Pal Points simply don’t add much value to the game for players above lvl 40+.

I’ve found I can earn about 10,000 Pal Points in a month’s time running .5 maps with my energy around 100, so I agree that if 10,000 pal points equaling 100 sailor miles actually provides the value for actively playing DE. It seems the lifespan for the game for most players is around 6 months. If players rely solely on Pal Points to get cards like Pandora, they’ll be in it for at least a year since lower level players don’t have as many energy points at their disposal, extending the time needed to play the game in order to get just one of those three big cards. Just dangling that carrot will provide more incentive for players to spend halfway and participate the other half, but the initial consensus that I’ve read argues that 15,000 sailor miles (~$500) overvalues Pandora and Andromeda and few will ever go for it. Even if 10,000 Pal Points were worth 50 sailor miles, it would still be an improvement over the current system; it helps ease the tension for those who already spent prior to the update and leverages the player level to increase output of pal points, favoring those who have played longer, while not devaluing the cards available through Sailor Miles. My two (or three) cents.

Either way, its great to see some of the opinions heard by PM and while Sailor Miles is in its early stages, I’m sure it will add even more value to DE in the future as the game is further developed.
Dragon Era | slacks - a6355d | Guild - Elite
slacks

Return to Dragon Era Discussion