Advice from veteran players about growing a guild

Advice from veteran players about growing a guild

Postby GoldenArchangel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:18 am

Our guild, Disciple is currently level 15 (a low guild, I know..) We want more active players over the level of 20! How do we grow when there are SO many guilds out there for players to choose from?? It's hard to want to advertise looking for new members when it seems so difficult to grow with so very few "active" members.

Should we expect members to donate regularly? Or is that something that members expect the guild leader to do?

Just seeking some advise :|
User name- Adrienne
Guild- Dragonfly
Friend ID- d0cc3x
GoldenArchangel

Re: Advice from veteran players about growing a guild

Postby Boop » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 am

Growing members - A very slow process unless you're shooting for the stars in Guild Wars, and people jump on board because they want to win (or maybe just want you to win and they can have a free ride). There is no real tactic to growing a guild besides taking some time.

Donations - I have two answers, the ultimate answer is "yes".
Andrew 1 - No, you shouldn't expect them to donate gold. What they do with their gold is up to them. (Whilst true, this is dumb)
Answer 2 - Yes, you should expect them to earn Guild Points (which comes from donating gold). Through GP your members can get better cards.

So, really you don't want their gold as opposed to you wanting them to better themselves. Once they better themselves, they earn more gold, and you can see where the cycle comes from.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby GoldenArchangel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:50 am

Thank you Boop! Thats what this game is about in my opinion, bettering eachother & encouraging one another to do their best! You have to have teamwork & that's what we really want. As you said, I wish there was a way to determine the "free loaders" as that is not fair to the other members who are in fact active, loyal members who do donate.
User name- Adrienne
Guild- Dragonfly
Friend ID- d0cc3x
GoldenArchangel

Postby Boop » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 am

Your Guild Leader and Vice and see how much people have donated actually. But still, there's no point removing someone because they have not donated gold. It's their own disadvantage to not donate.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby yutyu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:53 am

You can give star rank to the top donators while those who don't donate as much get a lower rank.
Weekly ranking may be a good competition and is very encouraging for players and the guild to improve overall.

It is also a good idea to encourage them to post in guild wall how much they donated to increase competitiveness.
Another good idea is to encourage them to post in guild wall everytime they see something nice in guild shop. This will keep everyone excited and will generally motivate more donation while waiting for that "Lucky Day"
DRAGON ERA
Retired from the forum
yutyu

Postby Bigbadjohn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:46 am

The biggest problem you have is that there are plenty of quite sociable guilds out there that already have Level 7 guild shop and other greater benefits AND have plenty of space for new recruits.
How a new guild provides a USP that can attract random players is hard - I know it is nice to be running a guild but there are too many out there for the player base so you are competing in a tough market.
Bigbadjohn

Postby ZOOT » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 am

i have a guild Called the walking dead
everyone is welcome and if i see they are inactive for to long long 14 days i text them no response after couple days is kick!

also if i see they are online alot and donate 0 gold i ask them why if they dont respond i kick!
not that i want them to give all money to the guild but in they end is the guild function to get good cards and good cards means spending money!!!
ZOOT

Postby DrRickso » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 am

To echo what BigBadJohn said: there's already a surplus of higher ranked guilds (guild shops), that have low requirements for the sake of recruiting new players so you are at a severe disadvantage... The only way to start a guild at this point is to have no minimum so that new players that randomly click to join any guild have a chance at being slotted into yours. From there you'll find a mix of people that will play and grow while others (the majority) will likely not play the game beyond a week nor be social enough to warrant your holding a spot for them.

I'd highly suggest taking your closest allies with you to a higher open guild that you can help build, but if you are set on seeing yours through, there aren't too many options for recruiting. Best of luck in whatever route you go!
DrRickso

Postby Ronin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi GoldenArchangel,

imo, a guild is a group of players who enjoy and want the same things in the game.
So, my advice to you, if you want to be a Guild Master, is try to find players who have the same way of play (gameplay) than you. Same objective, same activity and same donation wish than you.

Dont try to make every guild member happy or you will be in trouble!
What you have to do is encourage your friends to talk in guild chat to know each other better. That is the key to the smooth progress of an alliance.

As a last advice, I have to tell you many veteran players agree in saying that, at this point of the game, it is better to seek a high lvl guild to join than create a new one.
Good game!
Ronin - In Septim Pace - cx4fee
Ronin

Postby GoldenArchangel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful information! My husband actually started the guild, so of course I want to be a part of what he started :) We are just having a hard time recruiting. Which, I completely understand why! We will definitely take the information from here & put it into action :)
User name- Adrienne
Guild- Dragonfly
Friend ID- d0cc3x
GoldenArchangel

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion