Additional Levels Content- Revives Required??

Additional Levels Content- Revives Required??

Postby DrRickso » Mon May 05, 2014 3:16 pm

My biggest issue with the additional levels added is that revives seem to be required... There should always be a way (or ideally multiple ways) to win cleanly. Even the dialog says "Stage Failed" before you use potions so it seems like a cheap win to HAVE to use revives.

I also do not think that requiring the 20k sea miles card to clear certain levels, or banking on the luckiest spins in a row is a valid "method" of beating certain levels. I'm all for increased challenge, but when my deck (which is full of paid for and maxed level top tier cards) can't make it through a board, there is a mechanical issue.

I appreciate the added content- but it seems like some tweaking is required for the sake of balance.

Thanks!
DrRickso

Re: Additional Levels Content- Revives Required??

Postby Jas0n » Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Well said! +1
Jas0n

Postby Bigbadjohn » Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm

As I've stated before I think revives have become part of the new thinking behind the expansion and I'm ambivalent about it from a personal perspective as I can just patiently accumulate them with GP as long as the Guild Shop is kind - there is nothing much else to spend them on as I've enough energy pots banked.
I think the problem is that there are a number of places where you suddenly hit a point where you need to burn multiple pots and it feels a negative experience - burning the odd pot to reset health would be more bearable.

This is the brave new world of Dragon Era - personally I can live with it - I will play less and probably spend nothing (or not much) more unless things change and I know some who sadly have left. I wonder of PM have been surprised by the reaction to this?
Bigbadjohn

Postby admin » Mon May 05, 2014 4:35 pm

I will double check with the design team, but I believe the intention is that for players to be able to become strong enough eventually to get pass with either good luck or just a couple revives. Please also keep in mind that revive potions can be obtained without spending money and some players have stockpiled hundreds of them without buying Gems for them.
admin
Site Admin

Postby DrRickso » Mon May 05, 2014 5:22 pm

yeah i pick up the revives when they show up in my shop but it cheapens the wins imo... my goal in the old game was to build the team to win without revives in each stage but it seems like that is no longer realistic. thanks for looking into it admin!
DrRickso

Postby Durst » Mon May 05, 2014 10:59 pm

IMHO:

I haven't even hit the new levels or water apocalypse hell yet, but this is hardly the first time I've read of the issues DrRickso has brought up, and it irks me. All games have some sort of recovery item which revives a dead player (phoenix down, life bottle, bafomdad, revive potion, whatever you want to call it), but never in my life have I heard of a game requiring the use of them to pass levels. No game is fun without luck, but if I wanted to play a game run by it, I'd find a friend and play rock-paper-scissors. Even that has some actual strategy to it:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/05/05/rock_paper_scissors_as_explained_by_game_theory_chinese_mathematician_zhijian.html

Better than rolling blind. If what these players are saying is true and it really is expected that even a player with every single card will spend a few revive potions beating a level, then I think this update may have sold the soul of the game to keep its players.
Durst

Postby HernHunter » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm

I agree with all of you & as i remember i was writing about it before: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13198&start=20#p25214. I can see my activity is now lower with everyday, sad but truth. I am afraid that with new content game is boiled.
Damn Guild Name (DGN)
HernHunter

Postby a9yay6 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:09 am

admin wrote:I will double check with the design team, but I believe the intention is that for players to be able to become strong enough eventually to get pass with either good luck or just a couple revives. Please also keep in mind that revive potions can be obtained without spending money and some players have stockpiled hundreds of them without buying Gems for them.

seriously!? Did you guys forget how to play an RPG? I get the get stronger notion, to me that makes sense.
What doesn't make any sense is requiring a revive pot to pass a stage. this mentality goes against any game design logic I have ever seen.
I have been playing video games since I was 4, I am now now 28. Just to put this in perspective:
For example If I were playing an arcade game and made it to the final stage with out dying and the machine asked for another x amount of coins to continue I would take a hammer to the machine, or ask the owner to explain in depth why I should have to pay more for a game I already paid for.

The idea that the only way to pass a level cleanly is to use an item, goes against the HEART AND SOUL of gaming. REMEMBER who you made this game for, and who you are as gamers. If I could point to a smart business move and analogy it would be how PS4 and xboxone dealt with owning games vs licensing. Listen to your audience and those that spend the most dollars.

if financial incentive is what you were searching for then you should've just asked for x amount of dollars for the expansion.
All of us would've gladly paid the money for it. You have done a wonderful job in making a great game, but you have put yourselves in a terrible bind that could've been avoided. I implore you to make some swift revisions before you lose more people, and more importantly to you more money.
Chad
lvl 162
Guild Leader of Fairy Tails
a9yay6

Postby Ragnarok72 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:07 am

admin wrote:I will double check with the design team, but I believe the intention is that for players to be able to become strong enough eventually to get pass with either good luck or just a couple revives. Please also keep in mind that revive potions can be obtained without spending money and some players have stockpiled hundreds of them without buying Gems for them.

I actually just finished chapter six with bits of luck here and there, at times a revive pot to get going... But all the time I was able to figure out a strategy to get past the lvls without pots. When I rlly needed a HP card imo, I took my loss and would spend 3-4 pots to get past it... But when I'd be having all the cards in the game and I'd still need an insane amount of luck or revive pots to get through lvls, I'd seriously question where all my money went to -,-

Perhaps there are indeed some players who're having so many cards/e-pots that they can spend all their GP on revives, but I do need to wait for a good 6 star to pop up there, and so far have only been able to buy myself 30 revives... Just doesnt feel right I have to use to either get through chapter 7 or pass hell in the new Apocalypse stage... I guess I'm stuck at a point that I dont enjoy a finished stage anymore when that cost me 10 revives...

Not rlly much left to play for, except for gathering revive pots from my guild shop. I ain't feeling like I've been playing for so long to that be the climax of my gameplay :|
Ragnarok72

Postby admin » Tue May 06, 2014 5:51 am

I have doubled checked with the design team regarding this. They confirmed that it's intended for new boss's Hell mode to be harder than Panzers, but there are special teams (for example one involving couple specific 7* HP cards) that can either get clear the level with bit of luck or only with couple revives. While most of top player can clear "Insane" level to get the first Horseman of each element, it will take either much stronger team or require some luck or stocking of revives to farm the Hell level.
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion