Guild War suggestion

Guild War suggestion

Postby mistervista » Tue May 13, 2014 10:55 am

In the spirit of fair play I would like to suggest a change to the present guild war system.

At the moment it's impossible for any low level guild to compete with the top ones. As the same top guilds keep winning each war, the rest of us have no chance whatsoever of catching them up. As they get the best cards every war they obviously are in a stronger position to win the next war, and so on ad infinitum.
For instance every recent war has the same top 5 consisting of ELITE, Killin, Silent rage and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head. As an example our guild, Dragonborn, are presently 15th with approximately 150 thousand points whereas the leaders, ELITE, have over 1 million already! Obviously we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of ever getting anywhere near them, especially as all their members get the top cards again and we will get rubbish.
My suggestion is that to give every guild at least a fighting chance of being competitive in future it would be fair to, for example, make it so that the top 3 at the end of the war have to sit out the next 3 or so wars, and do that every war. That would at least give the lower guilds some sort of incentive to keep trying because at the moment we all know the result is a foregone conclusion, which means we lose heart and have no way forward.
Please just give us all a fair chance will you? Thanks.
mistervista

Re: Guild War suggestion

Postby Durst » Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 pm

So the penalty for winning a war is you don't even get to participate in the next THREE? I thought you were going to suggest that a guild can't win a war twice in a row, but clearly we're far beyond that.

Regardless, your suggestion is founded in a misconception. The top guilds win with that many points because a large portion of their members spend a large quantity of gems to constantly battle the bosses--not because they have the best guild war cards. I don't know anyone in my guild that even uses the guild war boss cards for anything other than the arena. If you want to be the best, it'll cost you real money.

What's more, any attempt to censor winning guilds from winning again will result in the establishment of multi-guilds. If Guild A wins the war, one of its members will start a new guild (call it Guild A2) and everyone will jump over to that one in order to be able to compete in/win the next guild war. If Guild A's shop happens to be heavily upgraded, they will leave the guild leader there to keep the guild alive, and then return to it once the second war is over. Obviously the guild leader doesn't get the benefits of the wins as often, but in the end this will simply lead to ppl creating ghost accounts to fill the leader slots while their real accounts swap guilds.

Having explained all that, I should also point out that punishing ppl for victory (especially when their victory is funding the game you're playing) is something I'd think twice about in any circumstance. Who would want to push for the top if winning also means losing? Just something to think about.
Durst

Postby yutyu » Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 am

Actually, in my opinion Playmage has already given weaker players some form of advantage (more points per damage/last until turn 20 with death guard+healer).
With the GW, the more damage you do the less point you get for each damage.
Hitting 50k+ damage gets 200+ GP while killing the boss with over 1 million damage only gives 1000+ GP.

One thing you might not know about these guilds you are complaining about is that being in one is very competitive.
There are growing number of level 150+ players wanting to join and and a lot of them are willing to pay lots of gems every war for a place in these limited spots.
Because of this outside pressure, each member is expected to be able to do their fair share of work and must be able to get a minimum of 50K GW points on their own. (In other words, all members must be capable of getting their own GW Boss card even in a random level 1 guild) or they will be cut since there are applications from people willing to contribute 100k+ GP every GW.
So in a sense, everyone earns their GW Boss cards by themselves.

Even in your guild, top 10 players with over 50k gets the GW card, so is it fair to say everyone in your guild have the same chance to get that same card (Unless you have more than 10 players in guild scoring over 50k then it's unfair).
If you look from that perspective, everything becomes increasingly fair, don't you think?

To tell you the truth, most people are not even trying since it is a repeat GW card.
DRAGON ERA
Retired from the forum
yutyu

Postby mistervista » Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

Durst, I did say "for example". It's just an idea and the final mechanics of it would be down to Playmage to sort out the best solution. Other options could be (1) Separate guild wars for different levels akin to how the arena operates or (2)Have a separate "High level special" guild war running at the same time as the normal one which the winners of the previous war ( maybe top ten positions ) could participate in among themselves, with special rewards, and then return for the following guild war.
I'm not saying I have all the answers but just that it needs a good shake up in some way because the present system just doesn't work fairly and makes the game very boring for all but the top guilds. It's like it's designed for spoilt rich kids who have unlimited access to daddy's credit card! Unfortunately I don't fall into that category and have household bills and other major expenses which take preference over a game. Still, it would be nice to have fun with it without having to spend a fortune for all concerned.
mistervista

Postby DrRickso » Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm

many of us are actually working professionals like you... the idea that video games are solely for kids is a very dated misconception, so I doubt there are as many" kids with daddy's credit card" as you might think.

anyways, having said that- I also don't like some of the directional decisions that dragon era has gone through, but many gaming companies are moving towards "free to play/pay to win" as a business model. id rather spend a one time fee and play the game the way it is meant to be played as opposed to spending more money to win regardless of my strategy/cards, but that's not gonna happen here.

if you want a sense of satisfaction, consistent strategy application, and a relatively even playing field without spending money on in app purchases- this is not your game... unfortunately, there are few and far between that will offer what you are looking for, aside from a board game.

my suggestions to you are as follows:
enjoy the game free of charge
understand that it will take a very long time to get a very good deck solely from guild shop purchases
participate in the arena and download free apps from tapjoy to earn free gems
don't worry about guild war cards that don't have many applications in the main game
make friends in a guild and make your own internal goals and competition outside of the actual guild wars

GL!
Last edited by DrRickso on Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrRickso

Postby Durst » Wed May 14, 2014 3:22 pm

My apologies, mistervista, I jumped too quickly. I've been frustrated by certain other participants on the forums lately >.> Didn't mean to take it out on you.

mistervista wrote:Other options could be (1) Separate guild wars for different levels akin to how the arena operates or (2)Have a separate "High level special" guild war running at the same time as the normal one which the winners of the previous war ( maybe top ten positions ) could participate in among themselves, with special rewards, and then return for the following guild war.

These are actually both really good ideas that I would like to see discussed further or at least sent along to the design team. +1 for creativity and +1 for feasibility.

mistervista wrote:It's like it's designed for spoilt rich kids who have unlimited access to daddy's credit card!

Unfortunately, as DrRickso notes, most freemium games are now based around exactly this model :P His suggestions, however, are spot-on. Couldn't agree more.

Also, board games are awesome. Try Kemet or Tales of the Arabian Nights.
Durst

Postby mistervista » Wed May 14, 2014 3:44 pm

No problem Durst, no apology necessary but gratefully accepted anyway. Thanks for the feedback.
mistervista

Postby Ragnarok72 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:46 pm

In my opinion this isn't even a valid topic. I have yet to see a game where a number 1 guild/alliance/clan is actually punished for scoring well in 'inter-alliance tournaments'. In my humble opinion I dont see any reason at all why a 'mid lvl guild' should be given a chance to be rewarded the same cards as the best guilds in the game... In fact this game is already very nice to offer the 10 best players of every guild a chance at the 7* guild war card...

Thinking that u should be offered the same rewards as people who're spending actual money on the game is just as ridiculous in my opinion. In the present system u're already given a chance at good cards by several means so having a low lvl guild war is just being lazy in my opinion.
Ragnarok72

Postby _0nyx_ » Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Actually I had this Idea up in our guild Vista. Anyways my aides is slightly different, Imagine 3tiers of guild war, The top one would be the elite guild war with special awards such as Increased gems, more energy pots, revives, and possibly new cards, this would also effect personal rewards for elite. How all of that would be sorted out is by PM. That way the top guilds would have a reason to truly get competitive again. Likely increasing the amount of money they spend on the game now therefore keeping the money flowing.
Their would still be the guild war as it is now for the middle tier. Rewards the same, however the titans have left to conquer bigger and better things so that we pit dogs can fight it out for real with gems knowing we'd actually have a fighting chance at the top 5positions. I say this because I know if we tried now we would simply be countered with less gems by a superior force.
Finally a beginer lvl GW where the rewards are significantly less, no personal reward GB and only top guild can get it. Also gem rewards would be cut in 1/4 but I think the energy pots should be left alone. This way even the baby guilds would fight it out with gems keeping the money flowing.
How exactly the requirements for participating in these GW's is decided would be up to playmage aswell as if they would even consider it.
_0nyx_

Postby Durst » Wed May 14, 2014 6:16 pm

What needs to be recognized here is that we are asking for content that is above the current height of guild competition. So yes, upper levels would have something even better to go for than they currently have, making them happy, and lower level players would have a better chance at what's currently available--however in that case, wouldn't the complaints just transfer straight up? I can already hear the: "Now it's unfair because none of us can get the NEW top-level content!"

This all boils down to asking for bigger rewards, and while I'd be crazy not to want bigger rewards, it doesn't solve the initial complaint brought up that "the top guilds don't give the lower ones a chance." And I have no solution for that, nor do I believe there is one.
Durst

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion