How useful is recovery at all?

How useful is recovery at all?

Postby Jorge » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:25 am

Pretty much every time you make a team for one certain quest, it's about reaching a certain amount of HP, with a damage reduction or hp*2.5 card, and a healer. Another lesser option is to run and all-out attack team with attack type boost/healthy boost and hope you get lucky enough. I've already fluked a few chapter 4/5 quests with a build like that (mostly when I don't have much time to give a better use to energy but I want to have some fun). Other than that, the usefulness to the attack stat is mostly about how much damage can the shooters do, although a higher attack power is always welcome for spins.

However, recovery seems pretty useless to me. Outside of the recovery stat of healers, that is. If you don't reach the HP necessary to resist one certain round, recovery doesn't matter. Consider the fact that the HP requirement usually comes from one round in which more than one enemy hit at the same time, so there's nothing recovery can do here. Let's consider another case where you maybe take 7000 damage from one enemy followed by another 7000 damage from another enemy in the very next turn. You have 10000 hp and 3800 recovery, meaning that only recovering over 200 health in between can save you. So okay, let's say you draw some matching heart symbols that turn. It'll usually take loads of turns before you are able to kill one of those enemies (maybe until a shooter activates again, or after many turns of poison if you have it), meaning that this scenario will repeat again and again, and youll need to get heart symbols in all of those very specific turns. The probabilities of succeeding here are just too low.

Basically, I've only found recovery to be actually decisive against raid bosses that hit you for around 1.05x (at most) the speed you helper can recover (e.g. ceto hitting for 4000). But even in this case, there's hardly a difference between having high or low recovery stats, since it's about getting heart symbols when it matters. There was also a pretty hopeless team I used to run in the past against hard hitting guild bosses with high CD, that consisted of golem leader and lilith helper; so if could get to full health through recovery at some point after golem had activated, there's that.

And when it comes to team abilities that boost recovery, it seems to be you'd better off just doubling up on healer or going with specific damage reduction in certain quests. At least these cards also boost attack x1.5 but overall I find them too underpowered compared to the 2x attack/hp or 2.5x hp.

I'm basically just making this thread to hear opinions rather than as a suggestion, since I don't think changing the mechanics at this point would make much sense. Maybe there's something I'm missing, and maybe there are strategies available with the best cards that revolves around recovery that I'm not aware of.

So, what do you guys have to say about this? :D
Jorge

Re: How useful is recovery at all?

Postby Boop » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 pm

The amount of times I've avoided a revive in the last 2 weeks because I rolled hearts is amazing. Recovery has its place in the game, and adds to the slots/luck factor which is the only real form of entertainment we have.

If you were to say recovery is entirely useless, then you're undermining the entire Bahamut card.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby mistervista » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 am

Boop wrote:If you were to say recovery is entirely useless, then you're undermining the entire Bahamut card.

Please explain. I don't know anything about Bahamut. How does it affect recovery?
mistervista

Postby Ragnarok72 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:01 am

It nullifies recovery by his -9999 recovery stat
Ragnarok72

Postby yutyu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:11 am

Bahamut/Dragon of Legend is the only card in this game with negative stats
When you use this card in your team, recovery symbols matches during game will never heal you, exception to active or leader healing skill.
DRAGON ERA
Retired from the forum
yutyu

Postby mistervista » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 am

Ah, thanks yutyu. I don't understand why some people are talking about it as being beneficial to recovery then. Surely it's the complete opposite? You'd only use that skill if you knew it was going to finish the level off wouldn't you?
mistervista

Postby yutyu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 am

Recovery is a godsend when you are fighting really tough stages (Chapter 7/Horsemen Apocalypse) and you have used up all your active healing skills.
It also is a blessing when you are fighting guild war/raid boss and you get a tons of hearts the in a spin, prolonging the fight and increasing your odds of killing the boss.

That's the only 2 instances I am grateful to the recovery icons.
DRAGON ERA
Retired from the forum
yutyu

Postby Byce » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 am

Recovery is nice in a lot of high end fights when you are starting to form teams of 15k hp+, fighting high level raid bosses, anything that hits for more than you're healing per atk rotation. also recovery is a powerhouse in arena.
Byce

Postby Midas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:49 am

mistervista wrote:Ah, thanks yutyu. I don't understand why some people are talking about it as being beneficial to recovery then. Surely it's the complete opposite? You'd only use that skill if you knew it was going to finish the level off wouldn't you?

Not, if you using Reaper leader and want to remain under 30% HP until your high hitters recharge.

For example - you are with 3k hp from 12k hp pool. You get x5 buff to healing, meaning that you will be healed for 3.7*5=18k by your Holy Priestess. Boss hit you for 9k - you survive and repeat.
But you get 3 hearts on spin and get healed for 2k. Now you are above 30% mark and priestess will heal you for 3.7k = 3k+2k+3.7k = 8.7k hp. Boss hit you - you are dead.
Midas aka Howrus. GM of Fairy Tails.
Midas

Postby Boop » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

mistervista wrote:Please explain. I don't know anything about Bahamut. How does it affect recovery?

Vista,

The point I was trying to make was partially covered by others. My initial reply had 2 points.

1 - Recovery is useful, because hearts are useful
2 - If Recovery is useless, then why implement a card which has -9999 recovery?

Bahamut makes hearts useless in your rolls, and whilst this seems like a bad thing, maybe you don't always want to heal. So yes, I'm implying that healing actually messes up certain team compositions.

TL;DR - If hearts are useless (and removed) then all cards become Bahamut, which doesn't make sense to have Bahamut the way he is.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion