A petition to rework "chances of..." skills

A petition to rework "chances of..." skills

Postby popo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:41 pm

In my estimation, about 10%-15% of a damage-dealing card's damage output comes from rolls, with the rest from activation of special abilities (assuming no overkill, etc.). Even if it were not taking the place of a useful special ability, is there anyone who would stop auto-spin in order to achieve "Over the course of three turns, increase damage by 5-7%"? This assumes a 50% increase in the probability of matching symbols, which is probably generous. Or worse, would you enter a zone where you had to rely on a 15% (rather than 10%) chance of being healed? Even with the presumed counterpoint, Horsemen, increasing the odds to 25% *per symbol* (a ridiculous assumption) would not double the damage output from spins.

When I first started coming to this site, I remember reading "Light Healer > Water Healer because the healing occurs without cluttering the reels." To which one might add, "but that's OK because it doesn't actually clutter the reels." I presume this is an attempt at translating "all hearts become rubies" from match-3 games. However, since the entire point is knowing when it's favorable to activate, it's confusing why one would even attempt the analog.

Given this, every newly released card has an active/passive combination in which one is situational and the other completely useless. Cards like the dark version of holy priestess are interesting, good for arena, and I could foresee situations in the future where I might use them (even though I never have to date). Cards like Ceto are just garbage unless the active is completely reworked.

P.S. Great game, the rest of it is fantastic. I only mention this because it sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison.
popo

Re: A petition to rework "chances of..." skills

Postby admin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:03 am

Thanks for the suggestion. When I play the game I also tend to avoid cards with "chance of matching xxxxx symbol" skills (unless I need their leader skills), because when I use them, they can be of absolutely no help. I am not sure if the design team intentionally make these skills to be rather weak and sometimes just not helpful, so I will check with them on this.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:17 am

The response from the design team was that they are weaker skills compared to some of others, but they are considering to slightly increase the trigger rate a little. It probably won't be a drastic increase or the skill may become too powerful than intended in a horseman team.
Update: The matching X symbol skill trigger rate has now been increased slightly, and the matching wild symbol skill trigger rate has been increased slightly more.
admin
Site Admin

Postby popo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Outstanding! The most I had honestly hoped for was that such cards would be less frequent in the future to lessen whining. Thanks for your candor, Admin, and kudos to PM on its approach to player feedback.

Is this change client- or server-side? I'm interested to try out the change (from a theoretical perspective - I understand the difference will be modest). And one final clarification on skill mechanics: I'm operating under the assumption that passive (ELT)-Chance skills stack, both with each other and with the active skill, assuming same element. You can be vague - I'm guessing PM doesn't want to divulge precisely which probabilities are being altered. I just want to know if horseman leader x2 has a different in-game effect than horseman leader x1, and that activating the skill on, say, Golem doesn't negate this passive skill.
popo

Postby pmsupport » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi popo, the change is server side. Your assumption is right, the skill effects stack. The skill effect of 2 horseman leader will be stronger than 1 horseman leader. If one horseman leader increases the appear rate of earth symbol to X%, then 2 will increase the appear rate of earth symbol to (X%+X%*X%). A golem with a different element, say fire element golem, will not negate the effect directly. The appear rate of both elements will be increased.
Enjoy the game!
Playmage Support
pmsupport

Return to Dragon Era Discussion