Mono or Multicolor Team?

Mono or Multicolor Team?

Postby Eleon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:53 pm

I'm rather new to the game, but have been reading up quite a bit, and playing a large amount as well. I'm currently level 28, and trying to piece together a strong team. I have found that most leader abilities revolve around the creatures of their color, but as well am finding that it's nigh impossible to build a very strong team out of just a single color. Each color lacks something that another is able to provide.

For example, Red lacks dependable healers.

Green lacks poison (from what I've found and read so far).

Black lacks high HP cards.

The list goes on. Anyway, my question is this: Is it generally going to be better to mix colors into your team? Or to stick with a single color once you obtain the proper cards and command points? So far I've been mixing a max of two colors, trying to maintain the majority of benefits of a mono-color team, but having one or two cards of a second color to aid the main color's weakness.
Eleon

Re: Mono or Multicolor Team?

Postby mattyb79 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:09 am

It really depends on the level. I found that for a large part of the game, up to say level 120-130, I played a mono white deck almost exclusively once I had the correct cards. Above that when you get into Apocalypse maps and Chapter 7+, you will almost always have a multiple color deck. Some dungeons starting in Chapter 5 will require damage reduction or death guard, so most likely you'll use multiple colors on those too. After a certain point, it kind of comes down to what teams you can make with your deck and personal preference.
mattyb79

Postby Eleon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 am

How many colors are typically used in multicolor teams? I know it'd vary, but should you generally try not to use too many? And in those situations, what kind of leader would you use?
Eleon

Postby Wendigo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 am

Mono color is best only if you are using leaders or support cards that give a specific benefit to one color like say 2.5XHP or 2.0X Attack.
Otherwise it will be better with as many colors possible as this allows you to take advantage of as many colors on the spinning wheel as you can. Some effects like 50% dmg reduction work well with multi-colors.
Note- later you will be building multi-colored decks around card types like dragons/demons/recovery/nature etc etc and these are some of the most effective decks in the game.
As mentioned before your best decks will depend on the specific cards you have available especially early in the game.
Wendigo

Postby Boop » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:23 pm

mattyb79 wrote:It really depends on the level.

This is probably the best answer you've received thus far to the question. But not necessarily depending just on the level, but also what your objective is. Both mono and multi have their place depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Ie: Grinding Chapters can be safely done with a mono, combating event levels (Panzers, Apocalypse) requires specific multi colours, or grinding Solomons involves using as many colours as possible with either a x2.5 or x3 modifier.

Pick your objective then pick your team, not the other way around.

Edit: Just to clear up your opinion on Black cards having no HP, the black HP card Werewolf has very similar HP counts to others, so I'm not really sure where that comes from. It's also extremely useful on a few levels which require you to ignore armour.
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby _0nyx_ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 pm

In general as far as I know he's talking about how dark types have less hp then all of their brethren of the same suit. For instance werewolf vs spirit snake in HP, I am sure spirit snake would win because Light type cards typically have the most hp out of their brethren. It goes From bottom to top Dark, Fire, Earth, Water, Light in terms of hp. The differences are rather small and would only ever effect you when on a close i.e. call where you needed an extra 10hp or so. RLE(Real Life Example) I could not use my medusa 6*lvl40 over my Succubus 6*lvl40 because during round 5 of insane the slight hp difference caused me to lose( The difference in Hp between them, atleast at Max lvl, is 15. Which cost me the match) I would appreciate if you don't downplay it into nothing for the newest of players, it can play a vital roll in our conquering of insane bonus maps.
_0nyx_

Postby Boop » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 pm

That's fine, but the statement was not that Black has less HP, which is correct to say. The statement was that it doesn't have high hp cards, which it does (Werewolf), like every other colour. :/
Dragon Era - Boop - an80e3 - "Get on with the job"
Boop

Postby slacks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:07 am

To Boop's point - every color has an HP card. In addition to the werewolf, the 5/6/7 cat burglar/thief for dark offers a decent amount of HP in a pinch.

Overall, I agree with the sentiments posted here. I used mostly mono light up to lvl 100 simply because that's the best I had. The more cards you have, the more you'll diversify.

At level 28, use the best you've got for the most power and HP paired with some nullify-element cards and you'll probably find yourself shifted most towards mono, especially due to CP limitations.
Dragon Era | slacks - a6355d | Guild - Elite
slacks

Postby mattyb79 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Almost everyone who commits to getting to a high level in this game uses a mono white or mono green team early on, depending on whether you get Priestess of Light or Warrior Queen first. Those are two of the easiest 7* cards to obtain at a lower level. Of course if you get lucky with Poseidon, Queen Persephone, or Agni as your starter, this may be different. As you get above level 120 or so, half the fun is experimenting with different teams to see how to progress in the game best.
mattyb79

Postby Eleon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I believe I have figured out how it mostly works. At lower levels, it seems mono color is the way to go, as the low command points prevent the use of stronger cards, so the color boosting leader abilities are important to use. At later levels, with higher available command points, different color teams are stronger because you can use cards with strong abilities as well as HP, Attack, and Recovery types to still maintain the effects of the lost mono color bonuses.
Eleon

Next

Return to Dragon Era Discussion