Upgrade ACTIVE SKILL

Re: Upgrade ACTIVE SKILL

Postby mistervista » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:07 am

admin wrote:Actually, gravebella's math is correct. The skill level up mechanism is indeed programmed so that using 6 at same time yields better odds than using 1 card 6 times.

Unlike bonuses, success odds mechanisms stacking additively will benefit the players more. Simplest example is if each material gives 50% success, and if the game allows you to use 2 at the same time for 100% success, then you definitely want to use two at the same time instead of separately (which would be only 75%).

No you've lost me there. Are you saying using one at a time or even two is pretty much a waste of time?

BTW I still think that using the maximum 6 at once should be an absolutely 100% guaranteed level up.
mistervista

Postby admin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Not waste of time, just at slightly lower total success rate if you use more at the time. But if you succeed you also get the skill level sooner then waiting for 6 cards, so there is a trade off.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ZOOT » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:06 pm

wish Playmage adds a Card VERY RARE in shop that can SKILL LVL UP every skill with for example (50% or 75%)
ZOOT

Postby Carava » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 pm

admin wrote:Actually, gravebella's math is correct. The skill level up mechanism is indeed programmed so that using 6 at same time yields better odds than using 1 card 6 times.

Unlike bonuses, success odds mechanisms stacking additively will benefit the players more. Simplest example is if each material gives 50% success, and if the game allows you to use 2 at the same time for 100% success, then you definitely want to use two at the same time instead of separately (which would be only 75%).

Just checking. Is gravebella only correct math on the 6=90%? or on all of them. if its only the 6 card then disregard the following below.

Since you have stated that the additive applies to (the theoretical) 50%+50%=100% then doing 90% in one go is correct.

MY assumption
was that if you do it one at a time then each try should be INDEPENDENT of other tries. sooo 15% with 1 card no matter how many times you do it. it resets each time.

one way that it could be additive which i doubt how it works is .1 card at a time the best. 15% first try [card#1], 30% 2nd try[card#2], 45% 3rd try[card#3] and so on until u use 6 cards total for the same chance as 6 in a single go/90%. BUT with a ton of other chances as well. i doubt it works this way but i was just giving an example. if it does then yay 1 cards.

IF the rest of the math IS correct then.
Ex. using 1 card 6 times. if the 1-.85^6=.62.28% 1st card=.15 chance. 2nd card... wait is this LINEARLY ADDITIVE? and uh. why is the math 1-(.85^6). because 1-.85 (where .85 is the chance that it does NOT level up) gives the 15% chance so i think you should do that part first. (1-.85)^6
Carava

Postby admin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm

gravebella's math basically says (0.85)^6 Is the odds of failing all 6 times, thus succeeding using the method 1 - 0.85^6.

However, before everyone assume this means 6 card at a time is always the best, I want to point out that it's actually only true if your goal is ONLY increase the skill level by 1 and you have no other use for the material cards. Otherwise, while the odds of failing after 6 cards is higher doing one at time, you also can save unused cards if you succeed sooner to be used for the next skill level up. Just as example with the 2 cards I gave earlier, while doing 50% twice have a 25% failure after using both cards, it also have 50% chance of saving one card over the 100% method. Which option is better is still up to whether you would like to take bit more gamble with lower overall chance but save remaining cards for additional usage.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Carava » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:04 pm

oh ok. for the goal of only 1 skill lvl up. i understand what was intended now
Carava

Previous

Return to Dragon Era Discussion