Arena's Opponent Picking Algorithm

Arena's Opponent Picking Algorithm

Postby Kazaf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:58 am

At the moment the opponents list in arena is very very bad.

1. The randomness of opponent's rank, I am seeing 40+rank below me as my first opponent.

2. I am constantly facing the same group of opponents everyday every week.

3. There are opponents that I never face even though they are just a few ranks below me.

Please make it better. Thanks.
Kazaf

Re: Arena's Opponent Picking Algorithm

Postby admin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Kazaf,

Thanks for your feedback. Right now the game is only available in few selected test market instead of being available globally, and we will be launching gobally soon and starting to acquiring many more players. Once that happens, you should see much wider and closer matched selection of opponents in the Arena.

Best Regards,
Admin / Playmage Support
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kazaf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:01 pm

admin wrote:Hi Kazaf,

Thanks for your feedback. Right now the game is only available in few selected test market instead of being available globally, and we will be launching gobally soon and starting to acquiring many more players. Once that happens, you should see much wider and closer matched selection of opponents in the Arena.

Best Regards,
Admin / Playmage Support

Nice to know that you are launching globally soon and congratulations.

I hope what you are saying is that this is still in test phrase and changes will be make when launch globally, because if you are not going to change anything a larger player base does not make wider and closer matched selection of opponents. Well wider maybe rather than seeing the same 6 opponents now we will be seeing the same 12 opponents and closer because rather fighting rank 45/60 it will be 45/10k.
Kazaf

Postby admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 pm

I forgot to mention we have a filter based on players maximum team cost points as that is our best measure for team strength potential so we don't have someone who starting out in the game matching someone who is beat chapter 6 but entering the arena first time in that session. This also helps a little with player creating multiple accounts to help boost their own arena scores. This filter is likely the reason you might not be seeing player ranked few below you if your max team cost is much higher than theirs.

Anyways, the opponent selection algorithm actually attempts to find closely matched opponents first based on several filter criterias including one above, and they if there is none available, it expend to looser criteria to find more opponents to fill the page, and if still not enough match it drops down further, all the way to basically listing anyone you haven't fount yet by dropping all other criteria. This is why having a bigger player base will yield more closely match opponents, as it won't need to match against fishes of much different size when there are more fish in the ponds to choose from, figuratively speaking.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kazaf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:42 am

admin wrote:I forgot to mention we have a filter based on players maximum team cost points as that is our best measure for team strength potential so we don't have someone who starting out in the game matching someone who is beat chapter 6 but entering the arena first time in that session. This also helps a little with player creating multiple accounts to help boost their own arena scores. This filter is likely the reason you might not be seeing player ranked few below you if your max team cost is much higher than theirs.

Anyways, the opponent selection algorithm actually attempts to find closely matched opponents first based on several filter criterias including one above, and they if there is none available, it expend to looser criteria to find more opponents to fill the page, and if still not enough match it drops down further, all the way to basically listing anyone you haven't fount yet by dropping all other criteria. This is why having a bigger player base will yield more closely match opponents, as it won't need to match against fishes of much different size when there are more fish in the ponds to choose from, figuratively speaking.

In my opinion Rank should be the first priority rather than team cost because weaker players will slowing move to the bottom anyway if they cannot beat people around their ranks. Hence multiple accounts won't be a problem unless they invest a lot of time or money.

What you are doing now is creating a close group in the arena, you can see how all those low level players high up on list because they just keep fighting people of same team cost around their rank. So basically a few low level players got in to the top list they will just stay there not because of their strength rather because of luck and bad algorithm.
Kazaf

Postby pmsupport » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Kazaf, thanks for sharing your opinion. Using max team cost as filter is mainly to prevent the scenario that "have someone who starting out in the game matching someone who is beat chapter 6 but entering the arena first time in that session", or the mid and high level players who enter the arena 2 or 3 days after the arena tournament begins will find it too simple and boring fighting against players with character level and team cost much lower than theirs.
Enjoy the game!
Playmage Support
pmsupport

Postby Kazaf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:00 pm

pmsupport wrote:Hi Kazaf, thanks for sharing your opinion. Using max team cost as filter is mainly to prevent the scenario that "have someone who starting out in the game matching someone who is beat chapter 6 but entering the arena first time in that session", or the mid and high level players who enter the arena 2 or 3 days after the arena tournament begins will find it too simple and boring fighting against players with character level and team cost much lower than theirs.

This also means that top players like myself facing high level players but with a low rank like 46 half of the time. I can show you screenshots if you want. I have to check arena for refresh every hour to keep my place and is not fun. If you want player to be able to face more challenge make the list like +10-15 rank, +1-9 rank, -1-9 rank and -10-15 rank.
Kazaf

Postby pmsupport » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi Kazaf, thanks for the suggestion.
Enjoy the game!
Playmage Support
pmsupport

Postby meistic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Every 30 minutes Kazaf not every 1 hour... Beeing on 3rd place I see 20 times a day opponents on 30+ places as a top choice. I even see the same opponent sometimes 10 times a day and he is 25 places lower than me . Maybe he has the same team cost , but I would like to have someone that gives me more than 20 arena's points on top of the list
Artur, lvl 109
(top 1 in rank - lvl 54 )
meistic

Postby pmsupport » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi meistic, it should be because the cost of your team matches with that of the lower rank players. You can try forming a team with a different team cost to see if you can find higher rank opponents.
Enjoy the game!
Playmage Support
pmsupport

Next

Return to Support