Newbie Guide (Things I wish I knew when I started)

General discussions about the game.
Please use other forums below for questions.

Re: Newbie Guide (Things I wish I knew when I started)

Postby Cloud007 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Ooh thats very nice to know :)

I assumed it was limited in turns because I remember using it on the Gaurdian. She did 90, made me happy I wasnt one-shotted. Few turns later she did 456 (level 15ish at the time) :lol:
Cloud007

Postby starrsky55 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Youa re so awesome!! I knew there was an algebraic equation but couldn't remember for the life of me what it was...You are so awesome!!! :D :idea: :!: :roll: 8-) :P :mrgreen:
starrsky55

Postby BanzaiBob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Hiya wolfy - get your crystal ? Was looking at your post on weapon effects on skill damage and found something strange:
"After further testing btw it seems that while stats may affect skill damage....your base attack does not (you can tell by equiping a very low attack weapon and using a skill...the only effect weapons have on skill damage is if they are enchanted (which gives a 20% boost)"
Dont know if this is class specific but for my dragon slayer your weapons base damage plays a huge part in skill damage. Tested it out on a few lava serpents and with my guardian mythic sword + lightning blade the damage ranged between 2200 and 2400. Changing to a kitchen knife I do 35 - 40 and changing to Grand wizard has no effect on these figures. It would seem that it is only the mage class that has skill damage related to Int and also that it is only mage skills which are affected by the damage bonus. Will have to do some testing on this and could just be a bug with me. Now wheres that staff gone......
BanzaiBob

Postby wolfy42 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Ah!! I originally had thought that skill damage was partially dependant on weapon attack...but maybe that was because I was testing with sword skills at the time and not mage skills. The admin had mentioned that skill damage was not related to your weapon at all...so I tested it as you quoted with a baby staff...and sure enough did full damage.

I did not test it though with a baby sword!!

I will right now one second......

Yep!! That was it!!

Sword skills are based or multiply your base damage it seems. I just used a lightning blade on a baby monster and only did 165 damage wielding a kitchen knife.

The mage skills are NOT based on your weapon though.I'll have to test a bit to see which is superior top end.

Also it's quite possible that only some sword skills are based on weapon damage.

It should also be mentioned that the increase to attack from strength/quickness etc seems to be based on weapon base damage as well since a kitchen knifes attack is only 25 even with my high quickness strength.
wolfy42

Postby BanzaiBob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Just had some fun with a wooden stick and flame arrow. Mages get all the good stuff !!!
Was quite fun using the weakest weapon and taking out gold dragons in three hits.
Was trying to find out the damage ratio for stat points - got a lot of test data but its been some time since I did anything like that. Im getting old and confused !!!
At the moment any weapon I equip gives me an attack value of approx 2.5 times the weapons base damage value :
Base attack - Final value
10 - 25
26 - 66
50 - 127
54 - 137 Worked through the first shops inventory - same with my Mythic sword - 604 - 1583 = 2.62 ish
80 - 204
110 - 280
121 - 308

Now I just need some learning points so I can increase my stats to gauge the point for point increase. Or I may go looking for some +1 weapons - got some spare cash (who hasnt - 60 mil for con - robbing %^&*%£)

Will get there in the end - may be different for each class and may even find a use for strength, could have higher bonus for better weapons.
BanzaiBob

Postby wolfy42 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Cool, that is interesting to know!!

I really just use mage attacks at this point (more damage due to the enchanted bonus anyway) but for new players it will help alot. In addition it would probably make a HUGE difference early on if you buy a decent weapon...doing far more damage with lvl 1 sword skills then lvl 1 mage skills even if you have been boosting your mage.

In fact...that would probably be a great strategy starting off. Put 1 point in sword...get the best sword you can (eventually guardian sword even) and use lvl 1 skills to take out monsters fast:)

I'll have to try it on my Krongregate character hehe.

Btw I didn't see a crystal from you? I got a bunch from Bob's though was that from you? I sent one out hopefully to everyone (it's hard hunting down all the names) Last night and I'll send another one out later today:)
wolfy42

Postby wolfy42 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Yep, that is a great strategy it seems.

1 point into sword initially to start out (or start off as a warrior which might be even better...I'm not sure if yoru starting stats change depending on what you start as but if strength/con is higher for warriors it would be a minor long term advantage).

Always buy the best sword you can for the town your in (normal not custom). Use lvl 1 lightning blade to do 2.5x sword damage and instantly kill everything as you quickly level up.Pump all learning points into magic meanwhile which gives you full damage with a baby lvl 1 staff when using magic skills.

Should make early leveling much easier (not that it was hard before...but this would be easier for sure:)

Thats especially true ones guardian blades are available...it's almost like getting a free protection charm in a way.
wolfy42

Postby Cloud007 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm

wolfy42 wrote:Always buy the best sword you can for the town your in (normal not custom). Use lvl 1 lightning blade to do 2.5x sword damage and instantly kill everything as you quickly level up.Pump all learning points into magic meanwhile which gives you full damage with a baby lvl 1 staff when using magic skills

Hmm, on my FB character, I barely have enough to buy one con per level (first 4-5 levels, I couldnt buy any). Considering all my foes have gone down in 1-2 shots (1 SP or 2 SP skill), is this really an aide?
Cloud007

Postby wolfy42 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Yep, your going to want the con later trust me. Once it gets higher killing the guardian becomes cake and unless you get the invisibility cloak (boooo) it helps a ton in pvp.

Also you'll be able to buy more then 1 point as you keep leveling up. The cost goes up but so does the amount of guardian rewards...and that adds up to alot of money later on.

Don't worry if you miss getting a con point a few times in the early levels you'll make up for it later.
wolfy42

Previous

Return to General Discussion