PvP

General discussions about the game.
Please use other forums below for questions.

PvP

Postby Coderdude » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:51 am

PvP was fun when I was a lower level, I was actually able to kill people and it didn't take 400 turns. It's kindof ridiculous you have to use nearly all your skill points for 1 battle sometimes. I was in a battle with someone for atleast a 100 turns before I said screw it and I had to leave because I had no skill points left and neither of us can kill each other. I know this is an issue everyone knows about, I just wish it was more balanced and fun. It's a great game, I love the new updates, justing hoping next update will fix this issue maybe. I can hit monster for 1500 but I can't hit a mage in pvp for more than 50 damage in normal attacks. Little ridiculous if you ask me
Coderdude

Re: PvP

Postby wolfy42 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:55 pm

PvP is harder and takes more skill then monster fighting...but it is certainly not impossible.

High end pvp right now almost requires you to have at least some points invested in magic....because you get the largest number of skill points that way...and magic classes boost your offense. In addition if your over 40 you want to try and find an enchanted weapon..this boosts your damage another 20%.

Finally at the high end of levels dusts become very cheap to buy from the healer...taking maybe 5 random battles (vs monsters) to generate enough money on average to buy a dust. A fairy dust fully regens all your skill points....allowing you to use higher skills and kill other players much faster and easier.

The largest problem right now top end is the high block % players have and the healing from allies. Personally I think that ally healing should be reduced just like all other damage is reduced in PvP. I realize if you reduce it as much it would be worthless..but reducing ally healing to 50% effectiveness would not make the high priestess worthless to have...it would just not make it so much of an advantage.

Anyway don't give up on PvP....I can keep my Arena clear of potential people to attack (which you do by beating everyone on it) consistantly if I want. I usually skip dragon slayers who are wielding a guardian blade because it's just not worth the time to take them out...but pretty much any other combination can be taken out with at most a dust or two being used. With me using 9point skills constantly that means less then 200 rounds (usually less then 50).

The exp you get from PvP battles is about 10x the exp from monsters.....so while it takes awhile to win....you get at least a decent experience reward for your time...all for only 2 energy. PvP is VERY worth it.
wolfy42

Postby Coderdude » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:38 am

I agree, that yes is still worth it. But if you are out of dust and you haven't killed the person yet and you're out of skills, you definitely screwed. You can hit that attack button 500 times but just face it, if they have a healing ally, the battle will never end. I feel either removing them from pvp or making them heal lesss damage is a great idea. I'd love to actually fight someone and actually hurt them. I'm level 43 and its getting to me now. I just don't like half the battles I go into I have to dump all my dusts or skill points for nearly one battle. I hit them for 50 and they get healed for 400. It's pretty stupid
Coderdude

Postby BanzaiBob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 am

Just getting into PvP myself - avoided it till Lvl 50 (Slow lvling for me !!) Good to know you tend to avoid Dragon slayers with guardian blades wolfy as thats my set up + red dragon scales of speed +3 (If people are going to attack me then at least I will cost them a lot of skill points to take down)

As for reducing the healers ability in PvP that sounds like a very good idea considering the amount of time some battles can take - got the high priestess myself and wouldnt complain at this change as it would be for the better. If anything it would make arena fights far easyer for me as Im using dragon slayer class and choosing my battles - can get away with winning with only one skill - guard - but takes a very long time to kill the enemy and there are not a lot of opponents that can be taken out like this so I wouldnt advise it unless you dont have a choice like me !!!
I dont actualy think the damage is reduced in Pvp - its more likley down to the high defense players have compared to normal enemies but as Coderdude said its a real pain when your hitting for <50 damage.
BanzaiBob

Postby Coderdude » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 am

I have the priestess as well because there is no other way around it, if you don't have one you are not going to get anywhere in this game without using every skill point you have for everything. I just don''t understand the balancing, as a warrior you should have more def than a mage, it doesn't make sense that a mage is wearing hardened titanium armor. Same with dragon slayers(I am one btw), their block with a guardian sword isnt even fun to duel. I never duel any of the dragon slayers ever. Just saying that you realize how unbalanced this is that everyone just avoids an entire class. Aim is pointless to use for rangers or whatever they are called because it can still get blocked in pvp so whats the point in even having it. Just pointing out things that can be fixed, love the game, just voicing my opinion.
Coderdude

Postby Lawnbuddha » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 pm

PvP is one of the very few areas where I think the system was better in the pre-Facebook version of DreamWorld. With cycling on the old version, you could rack up tons of PvP wins over multiple trips through the levels (when you'd cycle back to level 1 after beating the game). With the current version, after beating the game, PvP wins become so much harder because many more of the players are hidden from view (such as myself) than at lower levels.
Lawnbuddha

Postby wolfy42 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Few things.

First Aim is useful...and actually the only skill that boosts over all damage (meaning you kill other players faster). A scoped weapon is almost as good as an enchanted weapon (higher crit chance vs higher base damage) and Aim can boost your crit chance even higher. For pure offense (if you want to kill people in the arena as fast as possible) toss on Aim at the start of combat and then equip an enchanted weapon for the damage bonus.

I am not sure about totally ruining the high priestess...it was quite expensive in gems to get her...and she isn't THAT much better then the normal priestess. If you do reduce her at all she won't really be worth the gems. I'm not sure what the solution would be....I think the best bet is to reduce the block % over all which is what makes the healing so over powered. As mentioned before I think block %'s should be balanced between the two players....reducing any bonus block based on quickness for instance for both players.

Say player A has a 40 quickness and gets a 10% block bonus and player B has a 32 quickness and gets an 8% block bonus. I suggest that when in PvP combat they should both lose 8% block chance and only player B would get an additional 2% bonus.

With the protection item, slayer bonus and guardian sword that would still only be 57% chance to block....which is far less then some characters seem to have right now. The healer would not be that much of a problem if the highest possible block % was around 60.
wolfy42

Postby BanzaiBob » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:08 pm

The only problem with reducing block % is that it is also the knights class bonus - you would also have to limit the other classes as well. And you have to factor in the guard skill - with this active my rate is 90%+ so we would still have high rates. There is some balancing that needs to happen between the classes - blocking in pvp is high but the skill damage bonus for the mage and extra crit rate for ranger would need to be reduced to compensate. No easy way around this one - as it seems there are not too many of us activly trying to work a way around this it may take some time.

Random option - reduce class bonuses (all) to say 3%/5%/7%/10% over the current 5%/7%/10%/15% and reduce the charm to +10% block. All classes still get the same effects but to a lesser degree and the overall block % is reduced without any unbalancing of the knights class bonus. We could also do with two more premium items for crit and skill (not just magic) damage to even things out a little. Plus it would bring in some extra revenue - I would be happy to buy them.

Even more random idea - how about a higher grade of weapons for the 51+ players that can actualy do some real damage in pvp instead of the low rates we have at the moment - powerful enough to shorten fights but as the game is effectivly over it would not have any effect vs normal mobs.

Just ideas - lets see if we can get a workable solution to suggest to the devs.
BanzaiBob

Postby wolfy42 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Actually if base block %'s were nullified knights would come out way ahead due to how many other boosts they get.

Right now it seems like anyone can get a very high block %....just fight someone like Bjorn for instance and you'll see 75% of your attacks blocked at least...while he wields a staff and is a mage class.

Knights can get 15% base bonus + 20% (I think) bonus from guard + 20% bonus from protection item + 20% bonus from guardian item without factoring in base block % at all. Thats 75% block chance for a dragon slayer with a 0 quickness basically.

So if you take out the quickness bonus to block % or let players nullify block bonuses (basically you get a bonus to block % based on how much higher your quickness is then your opponents....and full against monsters who have 0 quickness)....it would at least prevent non-knights from taking so long to kill and it would make killing for knights much easier as well:)
wolfy42

Postby BanzaiBob » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Any change that affected all three classes the same would do for me - didnt realise that quickness boosted block % as the five points I just put into it will be even more annoying to people !!! The player with the higher quickness gaining the advantage could be interesting in close fights but it could still result in long battles. A cap for block at some level - 35% for arguments sake, with the knight bonus adding to that which gives a max 50/50 block rate and alter the knight guard skill to something else, possibly a damage increase effect for normal attacks but not skills ?

As for taking on Bjorn - Ill leave that to the experts. Just short of lvl 52 at the moment which would put me in his range at lvl up so I may hold off playing for a bit !!! Only kidding - enjoy playing the game even if there is little left to do, still hunting down a guardian mythic sword - got a +3 power one in the shop right now but not interested as long as str is the weaker stat compared to quickness. (53mil - robbing *^%$*s)

Simple fact is that as we level the PvP battles are going to take longer and longer until it reaches the point where its simply not worth the effort of fighting and even I dont want to have to try and lvl purely on mobs.
BanzaiBob

Next

Return to General Discussion