Kongregate...

General discussions about the game.
Please use other forums below for questions.

Kongregate...

Postby Cloud007 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:24 pm

So I've been playing the Kongregate version of the game the past couple of days (level 26 at the moment).

Searching for more information, I began looking and randomly stumbled upon this forum. Reading some of the posts here from people such as Wolfy, I've noticed that there's quite a large difference and inequality between the two version of the game... and would like to know if this is going to be fixed or not.

A friend of mine that is playing with me on Kongregate mentioned that levels seem to be coming quicker in the Kongregate version. Which is nice, but at what cost? No easy way to get gems, player interaction, and a smaller energy pool. Seems to only be a nice tradeoff for casual gamers.

Will the Kongregate version of the game be upgraded, patched, or whatever else in order to match the Facebook version?

Features the Kongregate version lack (from just what I've read)

Player Interaction
  • There are no Guilds.
  • There are no Crystals.
  • There are no Dream Stones.
  • The only form of interaction is attacking another player, or viewing their profile.

Premium Gems
  • There are NO crystals.
  • There are NO free offers.
  • The only way to get Gems seems to be by Paying (you start with 20, which is so cute.. all you can get is a one time refill of energy, sp, or some money).

As mentioned before, there are no Guilds. So all the benefits of a guild are also removed.
Cloud007

Re: Kongregate...

Postby wolfy42 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Wow I play on Kongregate sometimes (Played the book of the dead game on there at least). I'm so glad I found the facebook version first!!

If your only in the 20's I'd restart on facebook...it really is fast to get to lvl 30 (especially if you do a few surveys to get enough for the +30 energy item...that can literally let you level up to the mid 20's nonstop just from the energy you get when you level up!!)

Kongregate is fun..but it's social interaction blows compared to facebook (in my opinion).

Anyway I can't answer if there will be updates to it...but I can say that most of the multiplayer games on that site are not very advanced (not even as much as the dream world your mentioning for that matter!!).
wolfy42

Postby Cloud007 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:32 pm

I much agree with you. After getting to ~level 27 on Kongregate, I'm planning on starting a new character over at Facebook.

Though, if you'd be so kind, I'd like your advice so that I make a `smart start` so to say ^^. have read your post of tips for a new player.

So far what I've gathered is:
- Start as a Sword user. Level Sword skill to 40.
- Afterwards, level Magic to 40 (or 45? for Inferno).
- Focus on aiming for 1 con per level

I believe I remember reading a post from you somewhere about putting all points into INT at the begining or some such to net a +25INT end game. I didnt quite understand the method though ^^; Oi, found the post.
It's funny the help says don't forget to boost your stats later on....but truthfully you don't need the higher skills for random fights in the early levels (after say magic 10 for the first damage bonus and a few hard hitting skills to use in a pinch (implosion + light heal is all you really need)). Holding off to leveling your magic any more till level 35 or so would probably net you another 25 int end game.....and you would still end up with the same magic eventually.

For premium items, Im not all too sure about to order to get them in.. so please let me know if I need to change the order around
Premium Items: Energy Capsule > Cap of Wisdom > Protection Charm > High Priestess > +3 Cons/Str/Quickness > SP Capsule (can you only get 1?) > Bank
Cloud007

Postby wolfy42 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Well the game really changes post 50..but most of what I said still holds true.

First don't spend any LP into int/quickness/strength/dexterity at all....none. The only exception would be possibly putting a few points into int early on if they are very cheap (int under 10) and you need a few skill points.

All of those stats will go up naturally over time by finishing puzzles to a cap of 32. Any points you invest in those stats are wasted (which sadly I did not no...so I wasted many).

Con is really where you should invest everything money wise early on, although eventually you are going to want to max your strength to as well (through the medic) so feel free to increase strength for minimum requirements as you level up.

Don't ever waste money buying armor (you'll get that naturally from fights)...and only buy the best weapon available at each town in the normal store (not custom items that are much more expensive)......at least till you get to the final area or you see a guardian sword/enchanted staff (they make a big difference).

Now if you REALLY want to zoom up the levels as fast as possible you could skip boosting con all together and just save all that money to buy dusts and mist potions later on. I got a 100 con before stopping....but if you say went with a 50 con you would be able to use all that money to zoom up way faster (way more dusts etc). In the long run the extra con really doesn't make that huge of a difference (extra over 50) since anyone who wants to defeat you post 50 is going to anyway.

As far as premium items....I'd say go energy capsule first for sure....after that it's not a huge deal. Again if your going to try and zoom up I would suggest doing things differently then I did. I tried boosting my defense (getting +quickness/con items etc) and I got the bank upgrade.

For pure leveling though you don't need the bank (just get the invisibility cloak and nobody can take your money anyway) and you don't need the con/quickness/strength items at all either (they won't make a difference really in your offense.

Skip the whole sword thing as well if your going for long term....go straight magic up to 45 early on (you really don't use inferno at all but it's nice to have the skill points anyway) and then invest everything else in your int. My int is like 36 or so.....I wish it was higher.

Top end random battles are nothing....cake....and it all comes down to how many skill points you have and how much damage you do with skills. If I wasn't so far into the game I would restart because I made some serious mistakes for the top end game. I'd much rather have a 40 something int right now then a 30 something sword skill for instance (along with the +3 quickness/con).

For pure speed I would suggest this.

Start the game with a wizard type character.

Level up the first few levels that let you continue to level just from the energy recharge when you level.The last time you'll only need a few more energy to level up (probably like level 6 or something no clue exact).

Stop and go do a survey of the day while your energy reacharges the last about for the level.

Spend your gems on the energy upgrade. This increases your current and max energy by 30 points.

Keep auto leveling up while you boost your magic skill only.

When you get to a point where you can't level again just from the full refill take a break and do the other free surveys etc for gems. Spend those gems on the +10 exp item.

Level up from there....do as many other offers as you can (a few free ones give 30+ gems etc). Don't spend gems on skill points till way later (higher your level more skill points you get). Next up grab the protection item and the invisibility cloak (I hate this cloak but it's the best strategy for fast leveling right now...even better then the bank).

Spend your money each level boosting con...and as needed strength for equiping stuff. Aim for around a 50 con just to make life easy later on....and max strength to 32 eventually (no rush there..13 or 14 was all you needed for equipment requirements.

Eventually your int will reach 32 naturally from solving puzzles (so will your quickness and dex btw). After your int hits 32 THEN start spending your learning points to boost int. After hitting 40 magic (or 45 if you want inferno and the extra skill points...it's worth it I think just for the skill points) just save up the learning points for your int later....it gets expensive fast so you'll want to save alot of them.

For the most part it's a 1 to 1 ratio of learning points to magic points...which means you should have a 40 (or 45) magic by level 40 (or 45) and after that it's all free sailing. For added offense you might want to toss in the skill points to get Aim though because you can then add 20% crit to your skills (that can help alot later). If you turn in yellow crystals along the way you should have a decent number of extra learning points as you go up as well.

A rough ratio of int to levels post 32 is 2x your level (post 45) per int point. It's not exact but it works out ok. By level 55 or so you should have a 42 int in that case without counting any yellow crystals or skills bought with gems. Once you hit 50+ then you can start using gems for skill points as well. Save them until that point. Don't waste gems on the +stat items, the bank, definately not on money and with the invisibility cloak don't bother with the high priestess (the normal priestess will work fine for you vs monsters and you can use shield/guard vs arena fights as well making you take no damage even with a normal priestess).

It's worth having the protection charm just because it makes monster fighting and pvp so much easier...but the rest skip.

Spend your gems getting the learning point boosts (200+ per 24 gems post 50). Do this in combo with your natural learning points from leveling up ..and from yellow crystals turned in (although try to get enough other players to get pink ones instead...it's a better ratio of learning points per day).

I'd say a 50 int would probably be enough to maximize your effective use of skills in Pvp...meaning you need less fairy dusts per player you take out.

Finally depending on the number of gems you have left (remember to do the survey of the day every day) I suggest purchasing the virtual villagers (the 5 set packs for 40 gems) to get a +10 max energy bonus each time. If you can get that twice (80 gems total) that will give you over 100 total energy. After that just use the gems for full energy refills (15 gems per refill).

Doing that I think you could probably catch up and pass me (I've been playing 2-3 weeks) eventually as you would be way more efficient.
wolfy42

Postby Cloud007 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Whoah, that is a very detailed responce!

TYVM for taking the time to write all that up, time for me to jump in there and start taking names :twisted: 8-)
Cloud007

Postby wolfy42 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:28 pm

No problem.

Remember the game is in beta though and likely to change (they happen fast..the admin are really on top of things).

One change I'm hoping for is that the invisibility cloak will be altered for instance which would make it more important to get the bank upgrade for instance (and make post 50 play more fun).

The over all strategy though should enable you to advance the fastest possible in the game....much faster then most have at least because nobody really knows how the game works when they first start....and the early levels end up making a huge difference top end.

It's almost worth playing through to 50 then restarting once you know more about the game....because it slows down a ton after 50 and it doesn't take long to get there. Of course back when I was 50 I thought I had spent to much time getting there to restart lol...but honestly I didn't know about the post 50 game enough at that point and I would STILL have made mistakes.

Also you have to factor in fun....it's not just about getting as high a level as possible...it's fun making your character more buff over all (at least to me) which is why I boosted my con to 100 even after I realized it wasn't making a big difference anymore. One character for instance has a 130 con or so.....and all that really ends up doing is make you use 30% more skill points to take him out. Thats not nearly as important as extra block %'s from guardian weapon, extra defense from quickness and having the block bonus from dragon slayer for instance. Those 30 extra con could have bought a TON of dusts for instance which would boost your over all exp rate significantly.

We don't know where the game is going to go int he future though and Con may end up being more significant eventually. I still think a minimum of 50 con is needed....at least until you get the invisibility cloak...but I guess if you didn't care you could just get the cloak early and skip boosting con all together. Again that doesn't seem much fun to me...but it would probably save you a bit more money.

Eventually though you'll have so much money for dusts it really doesn't matter. I mean the money to boost con from 50-100 is enough for something like 150+ dusts at least....which along with the normal money you make every day would keep you at full skill points for a VERY long time...far past the time when you would have anyone to even spend dusts on.

Then I guess it would all be used on mist potions (extra energy) so it still could help you advance.....but 200 mist potions is only 200 energy. Of course when you factor in the money you make per use of a mist potion (Since you get money almost every time and it can even be more then a mist potion costs) it could end up making a huge difference even when PvP is no longer a big factor.
wolfy42

Postby admin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Cloud007 - Kongregate's version of the game does not have same viral channels and features because the platform is not ready for it yet. Beware that it also has some advantages over the Facebook version:

- 24 maximum base turn instead of 15
- 4 minute energy regen vs 6 minutes
- Has referral bonus to earn gems
- No character level limitations when trying to travel to another city
- Has a built-in chat to ask for help from other players

Also, the Kongregate's version was just released couple days ago and we might be adding a different guild system in couple weeks, one more similar to typical mmorpg.

Basically, it's a new version for more hardcore players, while Facebook version is for more social/casual players. Either one you choose, please make sure you only discuss matters pertaining to Facebook version here and matters pertaining to Kongregate version on Kongregate's Dream World forum.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Cloud007 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 am

Thank you for the reply Mr. Admin.

Ive taken your response and added some of my comments and opinions to them. Not trying to nitpick or argue, just some constructive criticism :)

"- 24 maximum base turn instead of 15" - But this doesnt hold all too well because with guilds, you have more energy (I see 15 followed by +2,+2,+2,+2). So even if only the +s add energy, thats still 23 vs 24... basically no difference. But as free offers are easy to do, FB version gets a +30 from there as well so its more like 53 vs 24 =X

"4 minute energy regen vs 6 minutes" - Wasnt aware of this, probably the only advantage IMO that Kong version has atm

"Has referral bonus to earn gems" - Which is nice and cute, but refferalls arent all that easy IMO. I would much rather have free offers.

"No character level limitations when trying to travel to another city" - Still must clear the previous city, and doing that has a level limitation.. so isnt this just 2 ways of achieving the same thing?

"Has a built-in chat to ask for help from other players" - A chat that, at the moment, is largely filled with spammers ;x This forum seems to take care of any and all questions...

we might be adding a different guild system in couple weeks, one more similar to typical mmorpg" -- This would be awesome!! If free offers are added to the Kong version as well.. that'd rock!!

Either one you choose, please make sure you only discuss matters pertaining to Facebook version here and matters pertaining to Kongregate version on Kongregate's Dream World forum.

I wasnt aware that the forums were differnt. The kongregate forum's for this game are inactive and there are not people with as much experience in the game as there are here. You, the admin, seem to be more active on these forums as well.

Also, because of the URL (playmage.com), I figured that this was the games official forum.. not just FB version.
Cloud007

Postby wolfy42 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 am

Um, i have a related question.

Is it ok for us to make a character on the Kongregate server as well or will that count as having two characters?

I'd like to try the other version and try playing over again now that I know more about the game.
wolfy42

Postby Cloud007 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:37 am

I believe it is fine.

On the Kongregate version, when I go to "Rankings".. none of the FB accounts show up. Essentially, they are two entirely separate games.
Cloud007

Next

Return to General Discussion