Do the pesky math problems drive you crazy?

General discussions about the game.
Please use other forums below for questions.

Re: Do the pesky math problems drive you crazy?

Postby catepillar682 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:20 pm

williamBurke wrote:thanks but I don't understand the instructions at all. this tool you made I have no idea how to use it.

when I get hte puzzle box it says something for P I don't understand. its not written well or I am an idiot.

is there some online version of this puzzle box thing that I can play so I can learn how to do it?

I know I did it before somewhere and I understood the instructions.

Google "mastermind". All you need to do for my tool is enter each of the 4 sequences into the in-game puzzle and plug in the C and P values that the puzzle gives you. So the first sequence my tool has is RGGR. Go to your ingame puzzle make the 2&3 columns green and click on the submit button. It will generate a C&P value which you plug back into my tool. Unfortunately at this time, you have to enter all four sequences before my tool is ready to answer.

The "C" value that the game spits out means that there is that many of your spots in the correct place, and "P" means it is the correct color but wrong place.

If you need more help then this will help http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mastermind .
catepillar682

Postby williamBurke » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:40 am

thanks for the help ... I got it figured out ... I know how to use the solver now at least ... I just don't yet understand how the solver works exactly ... if I took the time to figure it out I could write a logic program in javascript that would give me the answer, or I could work it out on paper ... some suduko [ however you spell it ] games allow for notes on the game so one can see their logic instead of trying to remember it. most online versions of games don't allow enough chances to figure stuff out and all the games that are timed are unfair to slower smarter people like me ... the speed at which someone can solve a puzzle does not determine their IQ level ... I have a very high IQ in that I can eventually figure anything out, but sometimes it takes me years to learn something ... and what I don't practice I forget and have to learn over again from scratch.
williamBurke

Postby Knowname » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:51 pm

aparantly I do it the long way too >.< lol
Knowname

Postby mrhandsomeboy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 pm

it is easy actually all u have to do is this (anyway it is algebra)
lets say there is 91 heads and 293 legs. 3 legged chicken and horses lets say find horses
then legged chicken=x and horses=y
3x+4y=293....1
x+y= 91........2
so equation 2 u multiple by 3 and u get like this
3x+3y= 273....3
then u use equation 3- equation 1 and u will get this
(3x-3x)+(4y-3y)= 293-273
y=20
which means there is 20 horse there goes ur two digit codes combination :)
mrhandsomeboy

Postby Knowname » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 pm

I got up to statistics in college (stupid statistics, passed pre-calc and trig and all that) and I don't understand how to solve for two equations simultaneously like that lol I prefer my long way :) (it's on the first page) it makes much more sense than x's and y's anyway. I might be a little rusty, it's been 5 years.
Knowname

Postby Knowname » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:58 pm

never mind I get it now, like I said, rusty lol. Anyway my explanation on the first page puts all that in English and Cate points out, why not just plug it into the website >.> give a man fish rather than teaching him to fish <.<
Knowname

Postby admin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 pm

We need to clarify this - the farm question was not made with the intention to require knowledge of algebra, but very simple multiplication and subtraction that most players can do in their head.

Here is a hint: assume all the animals are one type first, calculate how many legs that would result, then...
admin
Site Admin

Postby Tukarama » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Knowname gave a great example on the third post of the first page. Very simple math but I have to use a calculator because I am a product of American public schools :lol:
Tukarama

Postby catepillar682 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:07 am

Wikipedia Search for Algebra wrote:Algebra is the branch of mathematics concerning the study of the rules of operations and the constructions and concepts arising from them, including terms, polynomials, equations and algebraic structures.

Based on that quote, the farm problem is clearly algebra... Not that algebra is challenging.
catepillar682

Postby admin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:38 am

That definition is way too loose. Algebra usually refers to variable substitution and polynomials problems. The farm question can be solved by Algebra, but can be solved without it as well.
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion