Do the pesky math problems drive you crazy?

General discussions about the game.
Please use other forums below for questions.

Do the pesky math problems drive you crazy?

Postby catepillar682 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Come to this site http://dream-world.hostse.com/ or if that is down the NEW server http://dream-world.50webs.com/.

All that really remains for me to fix/do is improve the mastermind puzzle... Its a long process.

I wrote all the code myself and in no way make any money off it, so enjoy.

Usage notes:
By using this site you agree to not hold the creator (i.e. ME) in any way responsible for wrong answers.

That being said, I would be extremely surprised and dismayed if it did somehow find a way to come up with the wrong answer...

And if you have any comments/suggestions or find a bug, please let me know.
Last edited by catepillar682 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catepillar682

Re: Do the pesky math problems drive you crazy?

Postby maryellen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 pm

No! I love them! Grats and keep up the great Work. :} Good luck with your finals,
maryellen

Postby Knowname » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:26 am

I'm great at math and I do all of these in my head. It's easy,

say it's asking for chickens and 3l-cows. You just take the number of heads, multiply it by 2, pretend all the heads are chickens, this is your base number as it caNOT be less than this right? Then take the number you get and subtract it from the number of actual legs. now since those cows have one more leg than a chicken, for each chicken you replace you get one more leg. When you subtracted you actually found HOW many cows there are, or HOW many chickens you must replace to equal that many legs! Now if the question is asking for the # of chickens, remember you are REPLACING these chickens with cows so you need to subtract the number of cows from the MAXIMUM number of chickens (or the number of heads).
As a simpler formula it would be (H)eads (x) 2 = (B)ase, (L)egs (-) (B)ase = (3l) cows, (H)eads (-) (3l) cows = (C)hickens

say it's asking for 3l-cows and (4 legged) horses? You'd do the same thing, except replace the (2 legged) chickens with 3l-cows and the cows with horses. remember to multiply the heads by 3 and go from there.
Formula: (H)eads (x) 3 = (B)ase, (L)egs (-) (B)ase = (Ho)rses, (H)eads (-) (Ho)rses = (3l) cows

say it's asking for chickens and horses?? DON'T PANIC! It's pretty much the same. Multiply the heads by 2 then subtract your sum (total) from the legs. only difference is horses have 2x as many legs as chickens. so to take that into account you'd have to add by 2 every time you replaced a chick with a horse. Well to save some time simply take your answer from the subtraction question, that difference (answer) represents how many you'd need to replace if your horses had one more leg than a chicken. Here's the catch, horses have 2 more legs than a chicken which is 2 (x) the 1 :) SO you need to divide your difference (answer) by 2! the answer to THAT one (quotient) would be your amount of horses. if you need the amount of chickens subtract horses from heads :).
Formula: (H)eads (x) 2 = (B)ase, (L)egs (-) (B)ase = (N)oonan (/ <--- there is no divided by symbol here :|) 2 = (Ho)rses, (H)eads (-) (Ho)rses = (C)hickens

My only problem is I play a lot when I just get home from work :/ and am tired lol... so I tend to make mistakes :x
Knowname

Postby catepillar682 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:34 am

and not everyone can do math in their heads.... I just manage to write code to do it for me and then I choose to share it.
catepillar682

Postby Knowname » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:07 pm

yeah lol it's really a pain when I'm tired and miss a number or two...
Knowname

Postby catepillar682 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:33 am

Just added the Puzzle Box Solver and made some graphical improvements.

Need Help: http://dream-world.hostse.com/
More to come, and please report all problems you encounter.
catepillar682

Postby catepillar682 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Just finished applying more graphical updates. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

Next up is creating an algorithm to solve the mastermind game (the 4 color circles that you have to guess the right combo).
catepillar682

Postby azelismia » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:25 pm

I like the games. I wish there was more of them. not necessarily math but similar type things. maybe cryptographs and that kind of thing.
azelismia

Postby catepillar682 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 am

azelismia wrote:I like the games. I wish there was more of them. not necessarily math but similar type things. maybe cryptographs and that kind of thing.

This is a suggestion. And belongs over here (at least if you want the admins to read it :shock:) http://playmage.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=40

But thanks for the free bump 8-)

catepillar682

Postby Sol » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:21 am

Hi catepillar682 sent you a pm
Sol

Next

Return to General Discussion