Blank of power vs blank of speed

Questions and discussions related to classes and skills.

Blank of power vs blank of speed

Postby Coderdude » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 am

Ok so I'm a dragon slayer at level 43 and had a truth sword + 3 power and I had a truth sword + 3 speed, now both give me the exact same amount of attack gains but ofcouse speed gave me defense and power gave me nothing. What is the advantage of power over speed for a dragon slayer? I'm not sure with other classes but this makes absoultely no sense to me
Coderdude

Re: Blank of power vs blank of speed

Postby BanzaiBob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am

Nothing that I can find at all. It would seem that quickness is simply more effective than strength point for point - Im playing as a dragon slayer also and will be raising quickness as far as possible without touching strength. this seems to be an oversight on the part of the devs as you would expect stats to be balanced in effect - mage (int+dex) and ranger (Dex+quick) stats both have dual effects but strength only gives a damage increase which is a little unfair to us but then again we can simply raise other stats with the learning points we save. The plus side is that all players gain the same bones from each point of increase and we can change class at any time so there is no overall advantage given to any players. I raised my magic skill to 45 for the skill points alone and that means I can play as a Grand wizard if I want to do extra gamage in the arena. We will just have to raise the issue in the suggestion box and see what happens - the game is still young and Im sure there will be lots of changes to come.
BanzaiBob

Postby Coderdude » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Oh definitely this game is still very young and has so much potential, it's just a lot of simple things that can be fixed.
Coderdude

Postby Gwynbleidd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm a 54 dragon slayer and have both mythic sword of speed +3 and mythic sword of power +3, i've tested them both and the damage seems the same, only with speed you get defence aswell. So now i don't even use the power one, i'd go with Speed over Strength until they make power better :D
Gwynbleidd

Postby wolfy42 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Strength has two bonuses...it increases attack and it allows you to equip items with a higher strength requirement.

Quickness has two bonuses....it increases attack and it increases defense. It also seems to have a secret bonus of increasing your chance to block.

If you meet the minimum strength requirement for your equipment it seems like quickness is by far the better choice right now. In addition you can boost strength in the healers shop (eventually it's very cheap to boost it up to 32 base). Since the secondary use of strength becomes obsolete way before you reach 32 strength that makes quickness a much better investment...and better to have on your equipment.

I'd still go for a guardian/enchanted/scopped bonus over quickness on weapons (Excepting maybe on swords since you don't really need guardian for random monster righting) but it's especially good to have quickness bonuses on your armor. I do not even use regen armor anymore when fighting random monsters as my defense, block chance and ally healing all make it so I lose almost no money per fight anyway (and it's better if someone attacks me while I am fighting random monsters.

The characters I fight with 44+ quickness block alot.....I mean more then dragon slayers quite often (and it's very frustrating). If you feel like frustrating people boosting quickness a good idea....if you feel like killing them in the arena though (which is a better energy to exp ratio) boost intelligence:)

I wish there was armor that boosted int soooooo bad.
wolfy42

Postby BanzaiBob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Ill take the spare one if its for sale !!! Cant get my hands on them - havnt turned up in the shop or drops yet. Did a little testing between Greater star robe of regen and Red scales of speed +3 and so far the defensive boost from the scales seems to offset the reduced healing abilty and has the added damage as well. Gives even more of a boost in PvP with the higher base damage affecting skills - choices choices !!!
BanzaiBob

Postby wolfy42 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Regen does not work in PvP.....so the choice is between greater star robes of speed (67 defense I think) and red dragon scales of speed +3 (68 base defense...+4 quickness...which is actually 72 base defense).

Thing is the quickness also gives you extra damage AND gives you additional block % as well (not sure on the ratio of quickness to block % ..but it's probably at least 1% block per 4 points).

So there really is no comparison between the two. The only possible time you might want to use the regen robe is vs the bosses...but even then it's not really that important.
wolfy42

Postby Coderdude » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:45 am

Regen works in PvP if you attack which I find incredibly helpfull, I've never encountered not having enough str to equip anything ever, so power as a bonus to items is by far the most pointless one there is.

Overall Speed>power in every way.
Coderdude

Return to Classes and Skills