Pillar Dammage

Re: Pillar Dammage

Postby Gizmet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:36 am

The intent of the buffs may be to make it more of a contest, but I think we both know it really won't.
The lack of contest over pillars is due to the fact that of the 8 players with 7 planets, 5 of them are in one galaxy and 3 of them are in another. As long as that continues to be the case, the current #1 Trolling stones, # 2 Pax sanctum trend will continue ad nauseum. King's field will likely continue to have a fairly decent lock on #3 as well, because as a locked galaxy, they have 40 active players, who probably also work together more. In contrast, unlocked galaxies are bound to have at most 10-15 active players, most of whom are probably operating independently. And I can respect King's Field for doing what they can to get a leg up in a game that is currently balanced pretty heavily against them (based on your $$$, followed by time, followed by configuration formula, probably because they aren't paying the piper as readily), although I wouldn't join them if asked (due to my mildly irrational distaste for locked galaxies).
But significantly lowering hp of pillars would mean it takes less damage to get a lock on higher ranks. And while I'm fairly sure trolling stones could knock them off in minutes, I suspect they would be more likely to just do 51 mil, and let the other galaxies fight it out for the lower ranks. After all, Trolling stones could knock the pillars down in minutes as things stand, but they don't. They do about 100 some odd mil damage, wait for a while, then do some more, and then complain about how they have to do all the damage to the pillar (which might have something to do with the fact that they're pretty much the only galaxy that can do that much damage to every pillar).
Also, sometimes Pax Sanctum or King's Field would get a shot at doing that 51 mil themselves before trolling stones get's to it. Anyway, the point is this does give a chance to other galaxies to squeeze out 25 or 26 mil and make 2nd.
Maybe not. Maybe you'll just crush pillars out of spite. In which case I find it highly entertaining to know I can evoke that kind of emotional response in someone who isn't even playing the same game as me (I would put in quotes but don't feel like looking up exactly what you said).
Also if the pillar falls in 5 minutes but some weak player who just got to chapter 7 happens to have tapped it while that's happening, they just scored 2nd place for their galaxy. Now that's the little guy making a difference.
I will concede that you could be right about it turning into just two or three galaxies hitting the pillar and then it's dead. Although I'd imagine that with the amount other things to do, most players would rather just assure their galaxy's rank and then move on to chapter missions, or arena, or PvPing, or the Collect missions, or whatever else I might not of thought of, or whatever might be introduced in the future.
As for shortening protection time, honestly, do you really care that much about the buffs from the pillar? Do you really think that if pillar's only had protection for 6 hours (which is still a fairly decent window of time to do any story missions you might want to do), anybody would care? I mean, you can get any of the buffs that have an actual impact on battle outcome from those little buff items you can get in the mall (only 1 hr if you're using coupons, but I don't see it as super likely that I'd need more than a hour to use up my ap doing story missions).
And I'll acknowledge that the mini-mission buffs idea might help, if it's done in such a way that a player who just hit chap 7 gets the same buff as the players who are in chap 16 or 17 or whichever one it is that you guys are currently working on (but I doubt that's how it would be). So actually, I'm reversing my stance on that and saying, sure, give it a try, just make it so player's level doesn't have any bearing on the buffs given.
I don't think it'll make a real difference because the real reason there's no contest is that some players are a little bit too attached to getting an extra 500 coupons per pillar to leave their galaxy and start making it a real contest (ironic, considering how meaningless those 500 coupons must actually be to those players, who in all likelihood have spent somewhere in the area of 5k gold to promote one of their heros to gold).
And no, I probably won't ever be able to attack you and win, but there's also arena (where you really don't need a 40 card deck to have a competietive deck), and at some point (assuming the damage cap isn't raised) I'll be able to hit that damage cap. Then every once in a long while, I'll be able to get enough damage in to knock you guys off your perch for just one pillar. And that, my friend, will be a more glorious day than you could ever fathom.

And finally, just so we do have an actual bug reported somewhere in this thread, I'd like to point out that when fighting "War of Heroes" battles, it is very common for heroes on the bottom row to obscure the life remaining in heroes on the top row.
Last edited by Gizmet on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not whether you win or lose. It's how much trash you talk while you play the game."
Gizmet

Postby Gizmet » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:55 am

After a day's reflection, I feel it would be appropriate for me to apologize for some of the more snarky bits in my above post. I'm sorry, talking trash is just kind of one of the things I do. And while it wouldn't be entirely honest to say no offense was meant, it would be accurate to say I regret the points where it was. I suppose you should be "highly entertained at evoking such an emotional response" from me.
I do still feel that the current lack of real competition between the top 3 galaxies (below that, it's actually still a pretty competitive game. It's just that it's a competition for 4th place) is mainly because you guys won't spread out to start making it more of a competition. But that's understandable. I know I have no desire to leave the galaxy I'm in as it contains many of the people who I interact with most often (and I love those "hitchhikers guide" quotes as a galaxy message). But I also have the good fortune of knowing that sticking with my galaxy isn't throwing off the balance of the game.
"With great power comes great responsibility"
And I'm sorry, but you folks in trolling stones have great power. So if you're not going to acknowledge the responsibility that comes with that, then you should at least stop giving lip service to the idea that you want it to be more of a contest, and start behaving as proper super-villains.
I mean seriously, lord it over the rest of us. Maybe spend a little of that gold on a megaphone so you can broadcast messages like "Trolling Stones once again crushes the puny mortals of the universe" or "Resistance is futile" once a day. Or make a game of seeing if you can farm an entire galaxy into oblivion. Or of trying to be the only galaxy that gets to do any damage to any pillar. Have fun with it, I'm sure you guys are all fairly intelligent and creative people who could come up with all kinds of ways to really send the point home that trolling stones is #1 and completely dominates the game.
Anyway, like said, sorry about some of the things I said in my previous comment.
"It's not whether you win or lose. It's how much trash you talk while you play the game."
Gizmet

Postby Relevant Wing » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:57 pm

You must not of seen the megaphones that have been used lol, thats old
It'll take a miracle for you, but I can handle it.
Relevant Wing

Postby Gizmet » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Well I have only began playing fairly recently, and at I usually don't pay much attention to those scrolling messages. I guess I'll have to try and keep my eye out.
Gizmet

Postby vuduman78 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:40 pm

well as to the pillars dieing overly fast, I was speaking from experience. There was a time when pillars spawned with 100m health. And they died within minutes. Often it would be just us and Pax sanctum that got to hit it. Or sometimes just one or the other. There would be at most 5 to 7 names. You had to set a timer for when the pillar came out of protection to get to hit a pillar. Then they upped it to 200, but also released a new tier of gear and so power crept up, then a new tier of ship and power crept up even higher till 200m was barely long enough for people to get to hit the pillar and you again had to set a timer. This most recent hike in pillar health has at least temporarily halted that. Which I appreciate because playing a game by timer isn't terribly fun.

As to doing 51M and calling it quits, that wouldn't happen because you couldn't do that. If you stopped at 51 the other galaxy could just over hit by a little and finish it and you would get second place (Coupons are still very relevant due to the crystals now giving guaranteed upgrades and them being able to be used for respecs and the like). Plus as soon as the pillar opened both galaxies would be in a mad dash to get their piece first. Anyone without a timer set, wouldn't get to hit the pillar. Again this is speaking from experience.

As to us lording it over people like proper super-villains. Well that just goes to show a poor understanding of human psychology. Because first for a long time, Pax Sanctum, was the largest on the server, but then they got under the skin of another galaxy's top members who joined us. Which made us barely competitive, but then we attracted a couple members of another galaxy who didn't want to join the oppressive sanctum regime but they still wanted a more competitive atmosphere with a larger active base of players, so they joined us. Now we are the biggest, but we definitely don't view ourselves as villains (With the possible exception of Relevant Wing he loves him some trolling) We see ourselves as the little guys who came out on top. Do others view us as villains? Maybe (probably even) but that isn't how we view ourselves to be sure. But even Lex Luthor if you asked him, would tell you he is the good guy it's that damn meddling superman who causes trouble and who has such unfair advantages.
vuduman78

Postby Gizmet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:36 pm

The "proper super villains" comment was actually just a joke. Generally speaking, if I say "I mean seriously..." whatever follows is going to be anything but.
I'm not really sure how crystals give guaranteed upgrades, or what coupons have to do with getting crystals, but would be interested to find out (perhaps not available 'till later in the game).
And as for the 51 mil thing, what you said really just means trolling stones would have to do 54 mil to assure 1st place (which would provide a good 6 mil point cushion that, unless my understanding of the damage cap is mistaken, would prevent you from losing your rank to an overkill), so what you said doesn't change my basic point. Although your experience from earlier in the game maybe does, so there's that.
You brief overview of galaxy history, I find interesting. I'd actually been recently thinking that considering the short amount of time I've been playing and even shorter amount of time I've been paying attention to pillar wars, it's fairly plausible that there's a bit more dynamics to things than I was aware of. This story of Pax Sanctum's early dominance would seem to confirm that.
The term "villains" is definitely a bit extreme (hence my use of it as a joke), but I do know many people from my galaxy find themselves hit by trolling stones fairly regularly, a fact they complain about. I'm not exactly sure why they're hit that often, as our overall relation is neutral (I think we're hostile to you and you're friendly to us, but it might be vice versa, it's not totally clear to me which relations are the ones our galaxy has declared and which are other galaxy's declarations toward us).
And no, you're definitely not the "little guys who came out on top". You just can't call a galaxy of significant size with no 3 planet members and single digit 4 planet members "little guys".
Gizmet

Previous

Return to Bug Reports