How do you solve 4 color column puzzle box?

Questions and discussions related to various towns,
dungeons, quests, monsters, and special encounters.

Re: How do you solve 4 color column puzzle box?

Postby catepillar682 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:55 am

Smokey wrote:Does anyone understand what to do here? Everytime I get it, I just randomly pick colors(never get the reward) and feel like it is just a waste of my time and energy. I am talking about the one that has 4 rows of colors, red, green, blue, and yellow, and then 4 colomns that you pick a color in each of. I just don't understand the game therefor I don't understand how to play it to win. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I am working on a solver for it. Takes a bit longer than everything else I have coded BUT it should be done by the end of the week. Hopefully. :oops:

Need Help: http://dream-world.hostse.com/
More to come, and please report all problems you encounter.
catepillar682

Postby coop » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:04 am

I am working on a solver for it. Takes a bit longer than everything else I have coded BUT it should be done by the end of the week. Hopefully.

just like the "minesweeper" puzzle its not always solvable.
of course for the colour puzzle it depends on your strategy and how you start, but e.g. in the minesweeper puzzle you have a 25% chance to FAIL in the following
problem:

1 - 1 - 1
1 - 2 - 1
1 - 1 - 1

theres 4 possible solutions:
c-c-f
f-f-f
f-c-c

f-c-c
f-f-f
c-c-f

c-f-f
c-f-c
f-f-c

f-f-c
c-f-c
c-f-f

if you hit a correct corner at first, youre fine, because you have one false move to choose between the side button.
if you hit a wrong corner at first, you know the right corners, but have a 50% chance to hit the wrong side button...
erm... was that somehow clear?
coop

Postby catepillar682 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:32 pm

coop wrote:
I am working on a solver for it. Takes a bit longer than everything else I have coded BUT it should be done by the end of the week. Hopefully.

just like the "minesweeper" puzzle its not always solvable.

if you hit a correct corner at first, youre fine, because you have one false move to choose between the side button.
if you hit a wrong corner at first, you know the right corners, but have a 50% chance to hit the wrong side button...
erm... was that somehow clear?

I already have that solver done. The one I am currently working on is for the mastermind puzzle.

And for the minesweeper style puzzle, there are only 126 different valid combinations that you will see. There are more solutions than that (forgot the exact number), but a majority of the puzzles have only one possible solution, and only one problem (the one you described) has more than 2 solutions.

You can actually check out my solver at http://dream-world.hostse.com

catepillar682

Postby Tukarama » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:40 pm

I grew up playing Mastermind so I have an advantage I suppose. I very rarely get them wrong. Everyone has their own ways to solve it. You have to find what works for you. Here are a few examples of how I solve it. I start with 4 of 1 color. If it has 0 then I move to the next color and put 4 of it. Otherwise I will leave 'x' number of that color.

First example 1 red, So I leave 1 and put 3 greens. Lucked into all 4 colors now to work on order. Simply move the red over one space each turn.
R-R-R-R 1 0
R-G-G-G 2 2
G-R-G-G 2 2
G-G-R-G 4 0

2 reds give 2/0, so next add 2 green, now it is 0/3 so we know that the red is not space 1 or 2. So red gets 3 & 4, green goes in a space and blue in the other. The 2 reds we know are right, the green is in it but we will see if it is the right spot, if not then it easily goes to the only other spot. If blue is in it then it will be either in the right or wrong spot, still easy to see. So it could be 2/1, 3/0. 2/2, 4/0. It happens to be 4/0 but if not I would be sure to solve it with the very next turn.
R-R-R-R 2 0
R-R-G-G 0 3
B-G-R-R 4 0

R-R-R-R 0 0
G-G-G-G 0 0
B-B-B-B 1 0
B-Y-Y-Y 2 2
Y-B-Y-Y 4 0

G-G-G-G 1 0
G-R-R-R 0 1
B-G-B-B 1 1
Y-Y-G-B 4 0

G-G-G-G 1 0
G-R-R-R 1 1
R-G-B-B 1 1
Y-G-R-Y 4 0
I would have liked to post one that has all 4 colors but I haven't run into any.
Tukarama

Postby admin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:55 pm

coop wrote:just like the "minesweeper" puzzle its not always solvable.
of course for the colour puzzle it depends on your strategy and how you start, but e.g. in the minesweeper puzzle you have a 25% chance to FAIL in the following
problem:

1 - 1 - 1
1 - 2 - 1
1 - 1 - 1

Actually we already removed that puzzle few days ago during one of the patches. No one should run into that one anymore.
admin
Site Admin

Postby catepillar682 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:10 am

admin wrote:
coop wrote:just like the "minesweeper" puzzle its not always solvable.
problem:

1 - 1 - 1
1 - 2 - 1
1 - 1 - 1

Actually we already removed that puzzle few days ago during one of the patches. No one should run into that one anymore.

After I spent all that time fixing my solutions finder... I come here and read this.......... o well. Its a good puzzle that I legitimately enjoy solving. I hope you bring it back :geek:

catepillar682

Postby admin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:20 am

We only removed that particular puzzle with 4 solutions because it's not 100% solvable, not the entire puzzle type.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sol » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 pm

I don't know which puzzle they said they removed I am getting both puzzles in my journey the number puzzle and the color puzzle : )
Sol

Postby catepillar682 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Sol wrote:I don't know which puzzle they said they removed I am getting both puzzles in my journey the number puzzle and the color puzzle : )

Sol. In my solver, type in the puzzle that looks like:

Notice what the results say. That is the ONLY puzzle removed. The unsolvable one that I provided some really bad suggestions to solve :oops:

catepillar682

Postby Sol » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Oh I see now just one of the puzzle problems not the entire puzzle itself : ) and I would like to thank catepillar for all his hard work during exams to help us gamers solve these puzzles : ) thank you catepillar! ;)
Sol

PreviousNext

Return to Exploring and Quests